Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bridge keeps getting suspended  (Read 1154 times)

cliffjeff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bridge keeps getting suspended
« on: October 07, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

so I'm trying to build a big bridge over the chasm.  5x7 bridge out of 8 or 9 rocks.  every time I try to build it, the dwarves go to it for like a whole season before they say they "could not find path" and suspend construction.  I don't know what's causing this.  I un-suspend construction and it immediately gets suspended again.  the first time it happened, I figured it must be because they were trying to make the bridge with rocks stuck on the other side of the chasm (I had made a small bridge across at first which I deconstructed in order to make a big bridge), so I deleted the blueprint and started over, using only rock types that weren't blocked off in any way.  like half a year later, same error.  I deleted it and tried one more time, with yet another set of materials - same thing happens.  

what could be causing this?  here's a screenshot of the bridge and the chasm it will be crossing:

:(

gloogorshkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vine-gar.tk
Re: bridge keeps getting suspended
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »

Well, one of the stones might be tasked for another job, or the dwarves might be trying to build the bridge with the stones on the far side of the chasm.  Try building with other stones.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

From what I'm seeing it's probably those rocks on the other side of the chasm.  The mason can't build on top of them and he can't reach them to move them.

If you want the nice large bridge I would make a small 1 tile wide bridge someplace else so the mason can reach those rocks, then destroy the temporary one later.  Or optionally keep the temporary bridge too, in case a tantrumer destroys the main one.

EDIT: As a side note what the previous poster mentions is valid as well, make sure those rocks on the other side aren't being used to make the main or temp bridge, as the mason can't reach them to use them.

[ October 07, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cliffjeff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

I'm sure it's not the stones across the chasm - I made sure of that... but IS it possible that, say, my mason or someone else used the stones that were queued for the bridge to make, like, a table or something?  I assumed that once you check a material to be used for a building, it was flagged as unavailable for other tasks...

cliffjeff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>From what I'm seeing it's probably those rocks on the other side of the chasm.  The mason can't build on top of them and he can't reach them to move them.

If you want the nice large bridge I would make a small 1 tile wide bridge someplace else so the mason can reach those rocks, then destroy the temporary one later.  Or optionally keep the temporary bridge too, in case a tantrumer destroys the main one.</STRONG>

ohh you're totally right... he can't move the rocks on the other side... thanks =D time to figure out where to put a temporary / backup bridge...

GameHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

Your dwarves are trying to clear the stones on the inaccessible side of your proposed bridge.  When they can't, because they have no path to the opposite side, construction is suspended.

Build a 3x1 bridge (looking at your screenie, 2nd down from the top) that has NO stones on the far side.  This bridge should be able to be completed.

THEN you can build a larger bridge, as your dwarves will be able to cross the little bridge to clear the far stones.

If you want a bridge to span that entire chasm, you must either clear ALL stones that might be in the way, on both sides, OR provide an alternate route to the east (right) side of the chasm

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

Probably too late now, but as soon as you get the 'dwarves have suspended construction of bridge' message, hit 'a' to see your message log.  The message right before that suspended message usually tells you why they suspended it.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

or you can build 1x1 bridges. in the end it looks pretty good, actually.