Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Economy?  (Read 1288 times)

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Economy?
« on: October 07, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

Is there a terribly good reason to start the dwarven economy? what are the long term side effects of not doing it? does anyone have any experience at running a big fort without having the economy running?

I'm kind of annoyed at not being able to assign rooms and I'm thinking of just skipping the economy next go round. wanted to see what folks thought about it  :)

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Economy?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

I'd imagine the only real drawback is not having all the screens.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »

You need to mint enough coins to get alot of nobles (book keeper, dungeon master, hoardmaster offhand) and you need those nobles to get alot of other ones (baron, duke, king, etc). Really the only ones that do anything are the book keeper and the dungeon master though.

The dungeon keeper is not a huge loss unless you really, really want to train some exotic pets (or make electrum). the book keeper enables the stocks menu, which is very useful but there is a cheat to enable it without him.

other then that, you can run a happy fortress without the economy.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

Well, there's the stocks screen (which includes specific item chasming and melting). Skipping the economy definitely an option, but personally I think it's worth it as you can manage most of the problems of the economy if you're prepared for it.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

Personally, I have started it only once or twice in 100+ forts (though most only go a year or two =p)

I am about to try it in my current fort, but only mint tin coins, and let the economy run on credit, and the nobles can bitch all they want. I never bother to give em rooms or give in to demands anyway. They want something I am not making normally, I send em off to test the only floodgate in my only fort. (I use nile farms.)

'Course, never tried the economy like this, so it'll be interesting to try.

Tracker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

I built a very grand set of bedrooms for my nobles. They come in, get assigned to one, and then I get to choose to kill them with magma, steam, water, starvation, collapsing roof, or by releasing hippos on them.
here''s men underground/who have never seen the sun/but they really know how to party/they raise their wooden pints/and they yoik and sing/and they fight and they dance ''till morning

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 05:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
<STRONG>tin coins</STRONG>

does the tin coin credit thing work?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

Will let you know, should have it running tonight.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 12:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by elipsis:
<STRONG>

does the tin coin credit thing work?</STRONG>

I believe it does.  Written in the wiki somewhere...

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>

I believe it does.  Written in the wiki somewhere...</STRONG>

I read it somewhere too, it's not on the wiki though (at least I can't find it) I keep meaning to try it but recently not had a chance to play much :/

Do tell us if that works.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 03:33:00 am »

Been there, done that. Tin coins works just fine, and they do not become split in 400 stacks.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 08:20:00 am »

does the broker go crazy? I'd read he didn't get too angry if you didn't fulfill the requests.

[ October 08, 2007: Message edited by: elipsis ]

cliffjeff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 10:54:00 am »

so is there a downside to using this 'trick'?  do your dwarves still sleep in bedrooms even though they can't pay for anything because they have no money?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

They don't need the actual coins to pay rent, but they do need the credit. You can fix this by drafting your bums or asigning them to pull a lever on repeat that isn't hooked up.