Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project: Rebuild the Mountainhomes  (Read 782 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Project: Rebuild the Mountainhomes
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:48:58 pm »

Well, this will be my first attempt at a story-fort, and first true delving of the depths of Legends mode. I'm not much of a writer, but need a creative outlet for myself, since the writing class I'm currently taking is over the "human condition" and requires realistic fiction.

What better place for creativity than Dwarf Fortress?

If there is enough interest, I will continue updates here, at least until the project is abandoned or destroyed.

Story incoming, this is just from scratching the surface of Legends, and looking up a few key players in the history of The Roughness of Empires.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The war began in 182, with The Roughness of Empires attacking a goblin civilization known as The Vice of Heads. The Vice of Heads was already under siege by the elves of The Prime Bewilderment, who eventually took over the goblin city. After signing a peace treaty, the dwarves left, only to return every ten years after, until year 215 when The Roughness of Empires attacked The Spidery Demon of The Vice of Heads.

This event led to The Prime Bewilderment declaring war on The Roughness of Empires in the winter of year 256. Even with goblins attempting to reclaim their lost city, the elves managed an even greater feat than taking a goblin city: the next year saw Fencedrained, Pagefurnace, Grippillar, Torchroared, Spiralpost,  Brushoils, Bridgeseals, Bronzeshade and Shotshade razed by the elven forces before the spring buds on the trees had begun to blossom.

At the end of this blood-soaked spring, a peace treaty was signed between the dwarves of The Roughness of Empires and the elves of The Prime Bewilderment.

A tenuous peace between these two adversaries was short lived, however. By midautumn, year 267, the elves began their assault anew. By the end of autumn, only six cities remained in control of the dwarves, the rest lost to the damned elves. Over the course of the winter, five grand cities were destroyed, and the elven forces quickly descended on the only remaining bastion of The Roughness of Empires.
Granitemines, holding most of the refugees, can be assumed to have fought bravely, but no survivors of the massacre have ever come forth.

It fell before winter’s end, sending The Roughness of Empires few survivors into the wilds.

Choosing a site on a the beginning of a brook; an area known for its hidden glades and nearby an elven retreat, the survivors of the war 34 years prior struck the earth at Duralzustash Ngotol Gidur, or in the common tongue, Honoredancient the Ghost of Memories in the year 301.

War refugees, remnants of the great Dwarven civilization The Roughness of Empires, and any other dwarves unfortunate enough to have lived through the slaughter of their people will hear of this place. They have lived in hiding for too long. The group that calls themselves Okon Esest, The Burden of Duty, takes it upon themselves to rebuild their great society.

History shall be their witness, in success or failure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That will be all for now, I'll work on the game a bit, get a few screenshots and such ready. Also I've got to dig through Legends quite a bit more, and see what other gems it hides.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Rebuild the Mountainhomes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:20:11 am »

This sound pretty cool, ill take the milita caption. If i can of coarse.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Slash Harkiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:05:54 am »

i'll take any Militia CrossbowDwarf if thats cool.
Angry Beards: The game where you shoot dwarves at goblin towers for stealing your beardlings.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:14:55 am »

Can't wait for the screenies! :D

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:54:48 am »

Does war with The Prime Bewilderment still continue?
Regular attacks from the elves and no mountainhome could be a fun challenge.
I'll take a male mace-dwarf if one shows up.  Ruhn "Honorspilt"