Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Custom Creature  (Read 1612 times)

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
A Custom Creature
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:00:45 am »

First post onto the DF Forum's. I have been playing since the days of 40d, secretly and quietly modding a ring of power! No, wait, thats not right.

I have been creating a custom creature. I had originally intended for it function as a player race that really couldn't, build or forge anything of value. So they steal things of worth. Basically it started out as an attempt to create something akin to spiders w/ acid for blood.   ???

However, I quickly ran into problems, because I was wanting them to actually process like how I pictured them. Normal sized, but incredibly powerful. Like some kind of alien monster... I really didn't want to use the standard methods for increasing the prowess of the creature. At the time (I think a year ago) size was the main method, and I think fat was also used. I didn't want the game to see it as enormous, but think of it small. I wanted it to process as small. My first step was the skin. I had in mind using CHITIN, but I wanted to increase the hardness of the chitin so the creatures would be more durable.

This didn't work. I then tried numerous other solutions to fix the problem. Finally, I ended up using scales, but they still didn't quite 'function' like an armored shell. So I had to alter numerous other stats. Teeth eventually proved to be the real problem, as they shattered too easily.

Anyway, I had finally built a working model. It was a regular sized, but physically powerful creature. I have still got some flaws, but at body_size 100000. My creature was able to strangle a dwarf in one hand, while shaking a second dwarf to pieces (still had some torso in its hand). I feel pretty darn pleased as I had to modify muscles, bone, teeth, scales, etc in order to get this thing working. It took a lot of work, and I wish life had given me time to finish. (Pictures managing a xeno colony :o)

I wanted to post it, as there were TONS of problems I had to test out, and it is now a working creature. You can easily go through and re-edit its strength values and so on. Oh, I called them Reptites cause I couldn't think of a shorter name.... Xenomorph is just to clunky.

Creature.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here the Materials.txt data

Lastly, the tissues.txt file

Hopefully this will post correctly. Stupid browser isn't letting alt+p work so I can't check. Anyway, I really want to hear what other people think of my creature. It isn't supposed to stay this powerful, but I had to increase it's capacity to check if things work. It also used to spray webs, but that was taking it just too far...

This critter is my little brainchild. Please feel free to utilize my work, but I would appreciate credit. (Unless everyone is doing this, and I am just a retard)  :D It really was a lot of fun, and work. The teeth are my personal masterpiece, I don't remember everything I had to keep them from shattering on steel. I really hope this isn't common, I have been off the air ever since I made this little guy. Been busy.

Thanks Toady, for a great game.
Anyway, I am still busy. Hopefully you guys will enjoy this as much as me. Oh, version is for 34.07 I believe so compatibility shouldn't be a problem. This thing is a hoot to play with in the arena. *Gets popcorn, and watches it fight to the death*

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: A Custom Creature
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:14:45 am »

Primal zerg? :D

The first issue I see: you define a material SHADOWSCALE but use it nowhere (the material of your SHADOWSCALE tissue is SCALE).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:26:31 am »

Ah, zerg.... Not a bad guess :-X

I would need you to be more specific, but I am pretty sure there is no flaws. Not with its armored nature. I use masterwork, and I have had all manner of creatures trying to smash these guys. In fact a Mountainking was pinned by four of them. They couldn't kill it, but he couldn't move. They are VERY hard to damage. I would have to spend more energy than I have, but I am highly certain the materials match up properly.

Then again, I do have a few hickups in their design.  :'(

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:10 am »

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SHADOWSCALE:SHADOWSCALE_TEMPLATE]

That's not used anywhere.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:42:22 am »

Freudian slip?
[CANOPENDOORfS]

Nice work and very nice first post :)

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 03:01:36 am »

Deon,

In answer, I believe you will find it under cluster number:

If you are referring to the teeth modifications it was necessary to get it to work.

EDIT: Oh, I am so certain because I have sent these things against every kind of armored dwarf imaginable, and a wide range of skills. Anything but the VERY best amor, and you end up with mangled dwarf. I was trying to get a creature that never need bother with 'early' game weapons, but used claws to cut steel.

If you change those values the game will no longer see Shadowscales as a type of scale, but rather something else (eg bone, tendon, skin). I haven't ever checked, but I imagine you could shear these guys for their scales. Hehe, picture a barber using the hair he cuts to make fancy armor :o

smakemupagus,

I think that is just a remnant from before time, I was originally intending these guys as a unique playable race. With a quick tweak, and set as playable, they function perfectly. Its pretty funny, they get into fights with each other all the time, over nothing. Fortunately, they don't seem to be able to hurt each other. (At first their teeth would explode when they bit each other) Of course, left as they are, they are incredibly powerful. Just one of these, without combat experience, brought down an ogre with a woodsmans' axe. That combat log was really enjoyable.

A real slip is the venom. I need to do some reading, but I think its too powerful a paralytic at the moment. I mostly want it to slightly weaken their oponent. Oh, and their skin is almost as tough as adamantium.  :P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:08:33 am by taldarus »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:57 pm »

Yes!

You have
 [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SHADOWSCALE:SHADOWSCALE_TEMPLATE]

But you use that NOWHERE. You just declare it.

P.S. To clear it up, the material SHADOWSCALE is not used anywhere, so you should remove that line. Everything else is correct.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬