Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's the most exciting embark location you've picked?  (Read 2491 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most exciting embark location you've picked?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 04:21:29 pm »

I embarked on an evil taiga/savage glacier once without really thinking about the side-effects of adding mammoths into the game.

Undead mammoths are Fun.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:26 pm »

Terrifying glacier single pick challenge. It was exciting to establish food and booze production and generally secure the living for the first time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 09:58:21 pm »

Any biome with huskifying clouds
...too much fun, tyvm.  Passive reanimation is bad enough, what with the inevitability of an unslabbable trader ghost showing up, and the inability to close a coffin tightly...
Husked wildlife does at least always leave the map when it's time for the next batch of creatures. Also, unlike reanimating biomes, husks don't automatically make more of their own by attacking*. So far I haven't observed clouds appearing in the middle of the map, so that leaves a bit of wiggle room on 3x3 or larger sites. I'd rather just stick to colonising the caverns though. The horrible deaths you'll find down there are non-contagious... unless you managed to score a site that both reanimates and husks.

Undead creatures can also be husks, though I suspect based on the capitalisation and other things** that it only applies to Corpses -- that is, creatures that appear on the map already undead.

Oh, and the only metals on-site are gold and cassiterite. I was hoping for hematite as my deep metal for each biome, but nope.

*Coatings can transmit huskification, but coatings are not always left on a husked creature. One site I had was in a swamp, and the rain left the whole surface covered in husk dust, or whatever substance it was. This site has foul smoke, and forcing rain via DFHack doesn't leave any coverings washed onto on the ground. More study required, preferably with superzero temperatures.

**GCS corpses do not shoot webs, but GCS Corpses do. Wildlife corpses do not leave the map, but wildlife Corpses do. There are certainly some differences between animate dead and animated dead.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »

My favorite way to play is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This sounds like a fun and new way to play! I wish there was more of a scenario mode - or a way to set this all up right off the bat...
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:45 pm »

One of my favorite embarks had an evil rain that eventually became fatal and regular rain that washed the toxic pools away. There was also a lake that was free of the evil rain. They built their fortress over the lake and when the normal rain started all the dwarves would run out and collect resources from dead enemies and animals that were killed by the evil rain. When the evil rain started back up they ran back to the fortress and dug in until the next cleansing rain.

I find the dun comes less from the difficulty of the embark and more from the narrative that develops around it.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 05:12:38 pm »

Ah. So a husking biome does not include passive reanimation, then?...
I'm still not planning to do another pure-badnews embark for a while. Maybe when any one of these is implemented: pulping, full clothing coverage (bio hazard suits), all remaining unslabbability glitches fixed, cleaning designations/zones...
Maybe then.  Untill then, my dwarves will just have to be nice to the elves who are maintaining the shrine keeping the dead from getting back up in that one corner of the map.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:48:40 am by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 05:56:13 pm »

It might do. You can have reanimation and one type of evil weather (blood rain) together, so I wouldn't rule out reanimation plus a different kind of evil weather.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]