Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: minecraft server needed (I only trust Bay12)  (Read 761 times)

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
minecraft server needed (I only trust Bay12)
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »

Anyone know a simi decent pure vanilla Minecraft server for the most recent update with next to no one on it, or better yet know how to make one?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: minecraft server needed (I only trust Bay12)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 04:43:30 pm »

I thought I clarify that Iam using the Bay 12 forum over the Minecraft forum because the Minecraft community more often than not sucks and only promotes their servers through biased opinions...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

I, too, am biased towards the servers on which I play.

For vanilla, we used to have one that PTTG? hosted, but since it's been down I just play with my girlfriend.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:29 pm »

vanilla
Why?

Being serious though, there is some need for a few more Bay12 specific servers with TFC and I guess vanilla as well ever since the last batch went offline.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:28:20 pm »

My friend dosnt like mods -_- so my usal servers wont work and I have no Idea how to make them...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »

Running your own server requires either paying someone to host it for you or keeping it running on your own (preferably rather nice) computer. There's no shortage of services for the first option, though as usual quality and price tend to vary considerably.

The second option requires your internet connection and computer be up to the task of not only running a server, but running the game at the same time (unless you're playing on one and running it on the other). This will obviously also tend to slow both down.

That said, it should be pretty simple. Back in the day there were a few tweaks and steps you had to go through to get one up (all detailed fairly well on the wiki), but a quick glance at the download section implies they've got it down to a single, hassle-free executable.

Some people also have port issues when trying to host a server. You can deal with them directly or download Hamachi or similar to go around the problem by creating a connection that acts like and thinks it's LAN.

Finally, remember that, if you never needed to be able to play without your friend, you can just toggle your game to be open, allowing him to join at will. I forget the exact steps in doing that, but I recall it being fairly simple and straightforward.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:55:52 am »

But as Irony said, you need to open ports or get hamachi to work.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.