Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about an artefact  (Read 414 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about an artefact
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »

I just had a pig iron mace...is it a better weapon than a masterwork silver mace ?
What do you think ?

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about an artefact
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:45:29 pm »

I don't think so, let me check the densities for a second...
Silver:
[SOLID_DENSITY:10490]
Pig Iron:
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]

Silver is better.
As I thought.
Although, since it has a 3x to hit bonus, while masterwork is 2x, maybe it is better for lower skill macemen...
Don't know about that.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »

The wiki gives pig iron's solid density as 7850 (the same as plain iron), and silver's as 10490. Given that pig iron is not a "weapon" metal, I'm going to say that a masterwork silver mace will do more damage, but the pig iron one will perform fine because it has a better (x3 artifact versus masterwork x2) to-hit roll. In the field of battle, the silver mace will probably out-perform the pig iron artifact. I would use it as a "ceremonial" weapon, and give it to my Captain of the Guard or whatever.

It's still a fine weapon. Iron makes a great mace, but there's little reason to use such a comparatively valuable weapon material for a mace given that copper and silver are better choices and are far more common.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:53:38 pm »

Yeah, I thought that, too...

anyway, I have already some "fine" weapons as artefacts (golden spear, steel sword), and a very good "ceremonial" weapon (golden axe).
I think I will let my soldiers choose.

Thank you for the advice !

I regret he hasn't made a golden mace, as it is twice as dense as silver, though.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:38:48 pm »

If you ever want to raise the value of a room, putting it in a weapon trap will provide a massive boost.