Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Avoid nobles from "pit/pond large animal" ? with animal hauling disabled !?  (Read 624 times)

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile

Well, my Queen is going to Pit/Pond an Orc in an adiacent Hatch.

Even if this seems safe, I would like to avoid that.

Animal Hauling is already disabled for my nobles.

Is there any solution ?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The animal hauling labour is completely irrelevant here, because pit/pond animal (just like bringing an animal to a chain, pen or pasture) is no 'hauling' task of any flavour, but rather a no-labour job every adult civilian can take. 'Animal hauling' is seriously mislabelled - it only concerns transporting cages and animal traps (both filled and empty) to animal stockpiles and nothing else whatsoever; specifically, it has _no_ impact on the job of dragging loose animals around.

You could mess around with burrows, but generally, if a dwarf is eligible to take any job, they can decide to throw an orc into a pit. If it disturbs meetings of your nobles with diplomats, the easiest cure is locking them into their office and only letting them out once the goddamn meeting is done. Other than that, the best bet is to just make sure the various pit/pen/pasture/chain jobs take their charges _from_ a safe location _to_ a safe location: a secured inside animal stockpile and a nearby/adjacent pit, say.

Edit: if you use a lot of traps, especially in potentially dangerous locations, it's a good idea to disable animal hauling on dwarfs you don't wish to risk (mothers of a dozen children, nobles, legendary crafters) - bringing the filled cages inside to your stockpiles is an animal hauling job and can become a bit unhealthy when there are still hostile units near the triggered cage trap.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:40:02 pm by Larix »

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you can pit things by remote lever-pull if you build a cage next to a hole in the ground.