Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to Modding... Generic Objects  (Read 676 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
New to Modding... Generic Objects
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:53:21 am »

I want to recreate the generic items in the Masterwork mod. By which I mean I want to change the yield of certain materials to a single object. For example all trees  (barring of course woods with special properties such as Nethercap) when cut yield a single generic "wood log" rather than a pine or willow log.
I'm trying to create a "modlet" with improved framerate or just easier to browse material lists that I could include in later mods. Not that I don't like ToadyOne's massively complicated item system, but I think that if I cut down on the number of item variations dramatically it would open up possibilities like for example larger embarks and populations. I'm also trying to balance how much the yield of a material is to keep the values already in game existant (i.e. a giant cave spider silk web is more valuable than a cave spider silk web, but instead of yielding more valuable webs it yields proportionately more)

Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this? I've been staring at the raws and have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't modded anything beyond basic creature stats before. ;A;

EDIT: Would removing, say, LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT turn the yielded material (for example blood) into a generic material?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:10:47 am by MDFification »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: New to Modding... Generic Objects
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:38:41 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117954.0

Have a look at it, the raws should have everything you are looking for.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:54:23 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117954.0

Have a look at it, the raws should have everything you are looking for.

Thank you Meph  :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:07:53 pm »

No worries.

Removing LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT will break it btw. You want CREATURE_MAT:CREATURE_ID, with the CREATURE_ID being a fake-template creature. Check the first creature in creature_accelerated.txt for an example.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::