Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Education  (Read 1052 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Education
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:33:41 am »

So, I got to thinking, how can children be made more useful? Then it hit me. Instead of waiting for them to grow up and become useful, sit them down at a desk, give them a slate, and start making use of that teaching skill! Basically, the idea is that you would be able to assign teachers to classrooms, where children would go, and teach them skills before they become fully functional fortress members. This way, not every child has to become a legendary crafter when they get taken by a mood, and they can be immediately useful and productive upon maturity. Heck, even a master/apprentice system would be useful in this regard (with the child performing hauling and other such tasks for their master in exchange for learning the trade). For the military, a knight/squire sort of system would serve the same purpose. If any of the races are going to educate their kids, I'd imagine it would be the dwarves.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Education
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:16:33 am »

I like the idea, though this seems a little more dwarven to me.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Education
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:40:12 am »

better than classrooms would be to have children work side by side with the dwarves and be extremely slow and crappy but learn their skill as they do it. and of course assign materials to children specifically lest they use up all your good shale