Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: interesting challange  (Read 776 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
interesting challange
« on: March 19, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »

Embark on a lake, build over the lake a solid wall tower with no hollow area. as big and wide as you want..

step two is break the connection from the tower to land and let it sink into the lake.  bridge to the tower and now you can set up and under water fortress by hollowing a fortress from the tower.  and mining from the lake floore

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
Re: interesting challange
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:35:57 pm »

Dwarf Bonus Points: Do it in the middle of the sea.
Extra Dwarf Bonus Points: Do it in the middle of the MAGMA SEA.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 02:09:28 pm »

DoubleDorf Bonus: Do this on a volcano and lock your nobles inside before sinking the city.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:27:59 pm »

Embark on a lake, build over the lake a solid wall tower with no hollow area. as big and wide as you want..

step two is break the connection from the tower to land and let it sink into the lake.  bridge to the tower and now you can set up and under water fortress by hollowing a fortress from the tower.  and mining from the lake floore
-And then watch in despair as everything deconstructs into oblivion.

Make it out of obsidian.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »

I built a fortress in an ocean recently.

Constructions are destroyed when a collapse occurs, so if you want to drop anything into a lake, it needs to be magma cast obsidian.

The easiest way to accomplish what you describe is to build a scaffolding over the lake and (probably) haul magma up in minecarts, then use track stops to dump the magma into the desired shape. For all layers but the second-from-top, the magma will harden to obsidian, then collapse to the lake floor block-by-block to build up from the bottom.

The alternate plan is to build a form, cast an entire layer's worth of obsidian in place, then deconstruct a support construction or use a support pillar linked to a lever to drop the layer.

The second layer from the top of the water will be the most annoying. If you try the first technique above, the obsidian won't fall down in some places. For that layer, and only that layer, you must cast the entire shape in place then drop it. You can do this in the top layer of the water.

All of the collapses will generate steam (harmless) and clouds of obsidian (dangerous). Your scaffolding will need to be several z-levels above the surface of the water to lower the number of carts and dwarves that get knocked off it into the lake/ocean.

Alternately, you can pump water from one z-level up to temporarily make a dry spot in the water, then build stairs and walls down into the lake/ocean. This is basically the same degree of complexity as using a scaled up 2-slit method for aquifer piercing.

For my ocean fortress megaproject, I first cast the outer shell of a small obsidian tower using hauled magma minecarts, then drained it and built a cart spiral to bring more magma up. Then I had infinite magma directly over the construction area and used that for faster obsidian casting.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:08:18 am »

-And then watch in despair as everything deconstructs into oblivion.

Make it out of obsidian.
I apologise in advance for my slight digression.
I was aware from my early experiments, in my now-abandoned Bathysphere To Hell project, that constructed walls and floors break into their constituent parts on impact.
At present, I have an obsidian-casting platform 20 z-levels above the ground. Would a hollowed-out obsidian object survive the fall?
Armed with that knowledge, I would be happy to proceed and test for possible negative gravitational effects on test subjects.
The Bathysphere To Hell project could be back on...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:27:14 am »

Of course it will. Anything inside though...
When cave-in happens it doesn't consider any connections, each tile falls as far down as it can.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science