Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: goblins are smart enough to retreat??  (Read 865 times)

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblins are smart enough to retreat??
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:41:50 am »

So I set up my First Corridor of Pain and Misery. A long, winding trail, menacing with enormous iron corkscrews and large iron serrated disks.

Goblin ambush! Bastards! I burrow all my dwarves inside and forbid all the entrances to my fort except the one that path-finds through the First Corridor of Pain and Misery. After the goblins slaughter a good amount of my livestock they start charging the corridor.

It was glorious! As soon as the first goblin stepped on the trap several of his body parts flew away and he almost instantly died. One goblin was flung back, leaving a bloody trail leading up to his corpse. But what happened next was a total disgrace. The remaining goblins turned around and ran away! Right off the map! When did they gain enough intelligence to not sally forth to their inevitable doom?

On a related note, is there any way to disable traps such that they would only start activating once the goblins are about halfway through the First Corridor of Pain and Misery?

Also, pro tip: when removing the burrow restriction, make sure to unforbid the regular doors, unless you want dozens of dwarves trying to lead animals back outside via the First Corridor of Pain and Misery.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: goblins are smart enough to retreat??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:45:31 am »

Terrified enough to flee. Goblins will not fight to the death unless cornered if they know they are defeated. A defeat is not really a defeat if you can fight again.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:10:39 am »

Sometimes they flee when their leader is dead.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:43 am »

AFAIK, goblins have always been smarter than dwarfs.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

AFAIK, goblins have always been smarter than dwarfs.
You take that back, you, you double goblin!
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »

Ambushers are more likely to retreat than siegers.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:20:37 pm »

Extend the corridor maybe 10 or so spaces. Use a bridge at the outermost tile connected to a pressure plate on the innermost pre-trap tile (either that or manual lever you control) to trap them in the corridor so they have no choice but to advance through the trapfest.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 01:36:09 pm »

Odds are you killed their leader. If you kill the leader of a goblin squad and they're not engaged in combat, they run.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »

All siegers keep track of a "morale" value - each time they witness one of their fellow siegers getting killed, their morale drops, and once it drops low enough they will turn around and flee.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:26:22 pm »

So I set up my First Corridor of Pain and Misery. A long, winding trail, menacing with enormous iron corkscrews and large iron serrated disks.

Goblin ambush! Bastards! I burrow all my dwarves inside and forbid all the entrances to my fort except the one that path-finds through the First Corridor of Pain and Misery. After the goblins slaughter a good amount of my livestock they start charging the corridor.

It was glorious! As soon as the first goblin stepped on the trap several of his body parts flew away and he almost instantly died. One goblin was flung back, leaving a bloody trail leading up to his corpse. But what happened next was a total disgrace. The remaining goblins turned around and ran away! Right off the map! When did they gain enough intelligence to not sally forth to their inevitable doom?

On a related note, is there any way to disable traps such that they would only start activating once the goblins are about halfway through the First Corridor of Pain and Misery?

Also, pro tip: when removing the burrow restriction, make sure to unforbid the regular doors, unless you want dozens of dwarves trying to lead animals back outside via the First Corridor of Pain and Misery.

My pet method for increasing the bag of my trap areas is to have a longish tunnel or corridor with a drawbridge at the far end and the traps concentrated closer to the fort.  Once the goblin squad is in, or a trap/detector notifies you that ambushers are there you can pull a lever and seal the far end off.  That leaves the goblins no recourse but to keep coming.  (A few stragglers might run down to the far end, but your militia can mop them up for combat practice.)

My forts usually have 2-3 routes into a central "Kill Zone".  That way you can stagger the closures to max out "catching" goblin sieges with squads coming from different directions.  Best I have done so far is completely destroying a five squad siege of goblin cavalry that two half-squads of trolls with it. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart