Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting blogpost on DF being exhibited at MoMA  (Read 1309 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting blogpost on DF being exhibited at MoMA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:14:27 pm »

The interface is deliberately obtuse

No, it's inadvertently obtuse. The exact opposite.

Or how about a (now-fixed) exploit wherein anything underneath a drawbridge when it closes is utterly annihilated, whether dwarf, garbage, or horrible monster from the bowels of the earth. 

I don't think that's fixed...

It’s also a completely different game, more like an old roguelike than Fortress Mode’s Sim City on steroids.  I mean, I think.  I’ve never actually played Adventurer Mode.

Nah, it's actually pretty similar.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:07:01 am »

“Finally, some of the games we have acquired (for instance Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online) take years and millions of people to manifest fully. To convey their experience, we will work with players and designers to create guided tours of these alternate worlds, so the visitor can begin to appreciate the extent and possibilities of the complex gameplay.”
Could this mean that MoMA will get Toady to actually write up a guide? It would be the second how to play piece of documentation from him, since the useless help menu.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:42 am »

“Finally, some of the games we have acquired (for instance Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online) take years and millions of people to manifest fully. To convey their experience, we will work with players and designers to create guided tours of these alternate worlds, so the visitor can begin to appreciate the extent and possibilities of the complex gameplay.”
Could this mean that MoMA will get Toady to actually write up a guide? It would be the second how to play piece of documentation from him, since the useless help menu.
No, nobody would want to read an instruction manual in a museum. I think the idea was to make some guided video tour. Captain Duck was involved.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:59:57 am »

Whenever somebody from the "outside" brings up Dwarf Fortress, Matrix source code is mentioned EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
Not that's a bad thing or anything, but it genuinely happens at every opportunity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »

Whenever somebody from the "outside" brings up Dwarf Fortress, Matrix source code is mentioned EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
Not that's a bad thing or anything, but it genuinely happens at every opportunity.
Well do you remember the first time you saw all that ASCII? Beige sands in hazy outlines, wonderful.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:49:36 pm »

I know that CCP recorded a bunch of player data from their servers to essentially pick out various player interactions from Eve and show them off, so maybe a similar thing is happening with DF? Just a few choice scenarios being shown off.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑