Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Caustic Forest (FPISG)  (Read 2899 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: The Caustic Forest (FPISG)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 04:54:28 pm »

Check bigger crate, ponder on what helicopter you are talking about.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 12:58:09 am »

Fun fact: die Menschen usually assume, что since the speaker говорит different Sprache, all of his слова will be ubersetze. When you randomly pepper the предложения with unpronouncable ausländisher sounds even though остаток of the sentence is translated, es звучит idiotically. Не делай this, bitte.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 01:57:46 am »

Fun fact: die Menschen usually assume, что since the speaker говорит different Sprache, all of his слова will be ubersetze. When you randomly pepper the предложения with unpronouncable ausländisher sounds even though остаток of the sentence is translated, es звучит idiotically. Не делай this, bitte.
I actually understood most of that. "People usually assume" (assuming that что does mean "that", there doesn't need to be a comma there.) "that since the speaker speaks a different language, all of his ...(words?) will be different. When you randomly pepper the text with unpronounceable outlandish sounds even though ...(part?) of the sentence is translated, it reads(?) idiotically. ...(fix?) this, please?" (I assume this was intentionally easy to get the basics of.)
Unfortunately for your claim, there are reasons for this usage of two vastly differing languages. For one, Dosija both needs to maintain his English in case he gets another job that requires it, while also much preferring to speak the Cemiral language. Secondly, even if you know the various expletives and exclamations of distress of another language, you are more likely to rely on those of your native language. The fact that he uses the word fuck as a sign of pain at all is anomalous from the norm, actually, which brings me to the third reason. The usage of Cemiral amidst the English is not random at all. It's the sudden bad events that trigger it from him, such as another wave of pain or the realization that HE WAS IN A GODDAMN HELICOPTER CRASH. While I do agree with you on the fact that gratuitous use of a foreign language is something to avoid, not all usage of more than one language in someone's dialogue is unwanted. It can say things about the speaker, such as "this guy likes his own culture much more than the one of the work" or "this guy might just not be well-versed enough in English to use it 100% of the time in any situation." A side note, I am heavily fascinated by that which is language, presently working on five separate languages. Kyaer Daenlek Gehelvis Laazhentze skreknyevr. Vaendz lousr Daen ziis Tekst lonlobvr, Vaus "Daen tiir Skarzkriitor tenvr" vyinskreknyevr.

c: Pretentious smiley for all who pester me as you do at a time when this is the last kind of bullshit I'm willing to put up with at this present moment! c:
Appropriate music for above paragraph.

Check bigger crate, ponder on what helicopter you are talking about.
Dosija: "Already know what's in the other crate. Saw it get packed. I don't want to see that again. Yeesh. So... thfuck should I do now that- AUGH! SIERS! Êt?! Jiax Qiolit! Êt Qiolod cën?!"
Dosija: "Where did the helicopter go? Wish I knew. It is cold and windy out here and there was one package I know had some warm blankets in it. Ah well, at least I don't have to deal with the others onboard anymore. I would probly be blamed for this."
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45:37 am »

Hm... Check clothing situation, see if there's something extraneous we can rip off for impromptu bandages, look all around us to see if we can spot any other creates or possible features, contemplate on what is in large crate and what would open the white lockbox, and what's inside it that would be worth money.

Lot of things, but a lot of things need done.

Right, also contemplate if it's possible for Iloialij to get concussions. I assume yes.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 04:43:18 am »

((In Russian, there's a comma before that/что. And yes, I intentionally translated only the less-important words.))

It doesn't matter if English is a legitimate language in your universe. Readers always assume that an unseen narrator is going to translate everything into the language the work is written in for their convenience, regardless of the number of different languages spoken in-universe. In the books I've read, when author wants to actually highlight the usage of non-standard language, he adds something like ", - swore X, the severe stress causing him to alternate between Y and his native Z", or, if the speech is sufficiently unimportant to not warrant translation, simply "rasped something unintelligible in Z, which Q took to be a question by his tone". While creating languages is a commendable (if rather pointless) activity, not even Tolkien randomly shoved bits of Quenya into the elves' speech. ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:45:33 am by Dariush »
Pages: 1 [2]