Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get more of a specific creature type ?  (Read 764 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get more of a specific creature type ?
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:41:46 pm »

I started my last Fortress for two reasons :

I wanted to breed Giant Cave Spiders( I was sold a tame webshooting FB, so that's kinda pointless now)
I wanted to breed Giant Tigers.

I know I'm in the right biome for Giant Tigers, as I already had one showing up. In a fortress 18 years old now. Of course he did manage to avoid my traps.
A whole lot of creatures showed up (mostly [creature] Men like Thrips-Men, clogging up my cages.

Now I would like to know, if I get rid of those caged creatures, do new ones show up faster ? Is there any (non-mod) way to have a better chance for them showing up ?

And if it is only controllable via Modding, what do I have to tweak to have more Giant Tigers / Giant Cave Spiders show up ?

P.S: I forgot to mention I did mod the GCS to have a child tag and be an egg layer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:02:43 pm by hanni79 »

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get more of a specific creature type ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »

GCS can only be bred through modding I think.
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:13 pm »

GCS can only be bred through modding I think.

I am pretty sure you can capture and tame them. Or you used to be able to. I am not sure about the latest version.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »

True, they can only breed if modded to do so, but I did that. Question still is, how to get enough of them to be able to catch a male and a female one.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:07:41 pm »

use a mod with fewer creature types and mod out animal men. frequent the modding forum as they can probably tell you which part of the tiger/giant tiger raws increase frequency if not obvious. which of course means genning a new world once you're done.

EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:53:08 am »

check out the new region-pops command in the latest release of dfhack (r3) it should do what you're looking for