Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can't tell if stupid or just dwarfy  (Read 831 times)

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
can't tell if stupid or just dwarfy
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:12:59 pm »

My mason keeps on standing on the wall while he is building it, leading him to suspend it because "there is a creature on the tile". Unsuspended it, did same thing. Is there a way to make him NOT stand on the tile? Has anybody else had this problem or is my dwarf just especially stupid?
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
Re: can't tell if stupid or just dwarfy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:28:21 pm »

remove construction re-designate the section of wall and hopefully he'll stop standing where he's building... yes it's a common complaint that's got several work-rounds.

though there's the gameplay questions forum for that sort of thing http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0 <-there.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 03:56:35 am »

I've noticed that if there is a ramp ajacent to the building site, the mason acts stupid.  Removing the ramps prior to designating the build seems to prevent this behaviour.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:38 am »

Thanks for the responses. For some reason I didn't notice that board before. In my mind it was, "I'm playing in fortress mode, so its probably in dwarf fortress dwarf mode discussion". Oh well. I'll try those things out.
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:16:49 pm »

Happened to me too. Turned out the block that was assigned to the construction task was, for some reason, in the same spot as the construction to be built. So the dwarf goes to the tile where the block is to pick it up and, being on the same tile as the construction tries to build there but finds himself occupying the construction site.

Once I removed the construction designation, the block spawned on an adjacent tile, and designating the construction again went smoothly.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 02:20:51 pm »

Common case of dwarves dwarving, I'd wager. Nothing the hammerer can't straight out.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"