Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean waves  (Read 598 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ocean waves
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:25:52 pm »

I embarked at the ocean for the first time, that the waves spawn strictly parallel and in the same shape as the coast line is quite the disappointment, especially odd when you have an odd peninsula-shaped wave approaching the peninsula. We don't need interference but not such ugly waves.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean waves
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »

This is actually more or less true to life, as I recall. As waves approach a shoreline, they eventually reach a depth which is shallower than their wave height, causing the wave to slow down (and eventually break). Since this happens at different points along the shoreline as the water gets shallower, the wave is bent as it comes in, causing the waves to appear to be coming in straight with respect to the shoreline.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:13:11 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean waves
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:39:47 pm »

This is actually more or less true to life, as I recall. As waves approach a shoreline, they eventually reach a depth which is shallower than their wave height, causing the wave to slow down (and eventually break). Since this happens at different points along the shoreline as the water gets shallower, the wave is bent as it comes in, causing the waves to appear to be coming in straight with respect to the shoreline.

Following contours, probably, but I doubt you have a peninsula-shaped (incl. the backside!) wave approaching a peninsula