Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress has stopped working during world generation  (Read 3697 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf fortress has stopped working during world generation
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:05:24 am »

i've crashed twice now trying to generate a world where i modded the entity raw for generation, the first time at around year 450 and the second at around 190. Anyone know what might be causing this? (the error message is "Dwarve fortress has stopped working")

my modifications to the entities were:
- i pasted the human preferred living sites to elves, goblins, and dwarves so that i can actually encounter their civs in adventure mode. I also made walls, tunnels, bridges, and roads constructable by those races in world gen. I didnt do this for kobolds.
-increased banditry for all civs so i have more enemies to fight, dwarves, elves and humans are at 40%, goblins at 95%, and kobolds at 98%
-added adventurer tokens 4 and 5 to goblins and kobolds so that they are both playable in adventure mode
-made goblins, elves, and dwarves construct tombs and fortress

thats all i can think of, i think i might crash again, at third try at generating now...its pretty painful cuz world generations usually take 6-12 hours for me, and this particular world has over 2k years of history so will probly take longer and crash...

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress has stopped working during world generation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:06:07 am »

entity raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:06:59 am »

continued:

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:20:05 am »

>> 6-12 hours for me, and this particular world has over 2k

World gens that long tend to use up too much memory, and some of the tweaks you made might also result in more entries in the history.  If you're on a 32bit OS and don't already use Large address aware you might want to try it.  Otherwise, smaller shorter worlds.

did your modding produce any entries in the error log?

filipmolnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:13 am »

I get crashes at worldgen too. That is why I switched to genning 5 Year worlds. I really like the short load times that come with those.
D_E is a true saint.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:04:13 pm »

*sigh, third attempt crashed again, though i have no idea when (i was sleeping), it was at 800 years or so before i went to sleep.

anyway i have successfully gen'd a 2222 year world before, this world's params are mostly a copy of that one but with some small modifications so its funner in adventure mode.

i dont think it's crashing from lack of memory, since its so random; i mean the second try crashed at 190 years, and that isnt very much history.

here is the most recent of my error log: