Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breach & Clear  (Read 4786 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Breach & Clear
« on: June 22, 2014, 01:00:46 pm »

I poked around a bit and couldn't find any previous threads on this subject, so I figured that now was my chance to make MY VERY OWN THREAD about something!  Yay!

Anyways, Breach & Clear is a special forces simultaneous-turn based tactics game, a la Frozen Synapse or Laser Squad.  I wound up picking this up drunkenly last time it showed up in a Humble Bundle, and I just recently got around to trying it out.

After seeing a small sample of gameplay on YouTube and the game's official trailer, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the game itself.  It is quite a bit like Frozen Synapse, of course, but is simpler and more accessible (and also doesn't need nearly as long to calculate each round's movements and actions).  Another thing is the actually fairly wide range of customization you have access to when dealing with your squad(s).

Now, in regards to customization, the game has vague RPG elements in that you earn money ("silver") for completed missions, as well as XP for the soldiers who took part.  Silver is used to purchase new weapons, weapon mods, vests, helmets and other accessories.  The individual soldiers, meanwhile, gain levels and with them can allocate statpoints in one of the six stats (more on those later), as well as perks and abilities at 5-level intervals, capping off with the soldier's second activatable ability at level 30.  There are six different classes of soldier, each with their own unique stat to put points into, abilities and passive skills.

What makes this system interesting, however, is that it isn't balanced worth a shit.  Some things are just absolutely better than others, and I've been minmaxing and cheesing my way through the highest difficulty level for several levels now.  And I'll be happy to share with you some of my findings.

First, the classes.
Spoiler: Fireteam Leader (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weapons Sergeant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Breacher (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Direct Action (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Medic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Intelligence (click to show/hide)

That's a bit about the classes, now a look at the stats they all have.  Each stat ranges from 1 to 100, and will start off at 45 (except for special, which starts at 50) unless specified by the specific team type you selected (different special forces teams will start with 75 in one area, except for Spetsnaz who get 63 in both health and reactions).  Every time a soldier gains a level, they get 5 more stat points to be invested at your discretion:

Health: Does what you think, increases the amount of punishment a dude can take.  ...not by a whole lot, though.  The difference is somewhat negligible, particulary in higher difficulties, and the largest health bonuses you can get are from equipment anyways.  And, again, you're either not getting shot or you're dead.  Put points elsewhere.

Reactions: Determines how long it takes for a soldier to react to, target, and fire an attack at a seen enemy.  This is incredibly useful, and indeed necessary for getting off that critical first shot against someone.  I'd suggest increasing this to be on the safe side, but this only happens once at the very beginning of a firefight, and I don't know how big of a difference each point makes.  Still though, it's an offensive skill and as such should be invested in.

Accuracy: How accurate your shots are, and how often those shots are crits.  Critical hits do 5x damage, and with maxed accuracy you get a lot of them.  Also, you're actually hitting the people you shoot, which is, y'know, a plus...  Exceptionally important stat, but can be heavily augmented by weapon mods and the weapons themselves.  Invest at least some in this, or start off as a JTF2 squad and just buy the extra accuracy mods you need.

Evasion: Your ability to deny the existence of spoons.  It's basically just dodge chance.  Rather than soaking up hits, it lets you ignore hits entirely, and is thus better.  It also cannot be modified by equipment, so the soldier himself is the only indicator of how good he is at dodging bullets.  I highly recommend investing in this, even if it is just a slight gain.

Speed: How many tiles a soldier can move per turn, and how quickly he moves around.  This can be quite handy, primarily for quick response and for clearing out those larger levels in short enough time to get the max ranking.  Movespeed is slightly affected by certain equipment types.  By all means put some points into this, but not until you've gotten the other, more important stats at acceptable levels.

Special: This is one of the six class-specific skills listed above, and as such the importance of this stat varies wildly.  For the Medic, it is completely useless, but for the Fireteam Leader, it's his main thing.  Weapons Sergeants fall sort of in between, as extra damage is nice and of course useful, but the damage bonus is too small to prioritize over, say, accuracy.  Naturally, no equipment modifies this stat.

That covers most of the basics, but there's one extra thing I'd like to point out...  When looking at weapons and weapon mods, you'll notice the stat "ROF", and it does describe itself as Rate of Fire, saying it shows how many attacks you can make per second.  Only problem is, it's written backwards.  The lower the ROF value is, the more attacks you'll be able to make.  A value of 1.00 ROF means one attack per second, whereas 0.50 ROF means two attacks per second, as it's one second per attack.  A bit confusing if you don't know that right off, but you learn to see it as just "how many seconds it takes to make an attack".

Which brings me to my next point, the P90...  By completing levels in good time with no casualties, you earn a 4/4 star rating (other ratings exist for people who aren't completely anal about it like me).  The more stars you get, the more new levels and new weapons you unlock.  These include shotguns which are all worse than the shotgun that's available from the start of the game (protip: Don't use shotguns.  I'm sorry, but they're horrible in this game.  Yes, I'm as disappointed as you are).  Once you hit (I think) 250 stars, you unlock the P90, which costs 2500 silver (expensive, but not cripplingly so).  This is the gun to end all guns.  It has an accuracy penalty and absolutely piddling damage, plus a moderately short range at 25m, but it also has a 0.15 ROF.  That's pretty cool on its own, but you can then modify the P90 with a custom gas system that reduces ROf by 0.2, while increasing damage.  Since ROF can't handle negative or null values, it just goes down to 0.01.

0.01.  If it were firing one single bullet for each attack, that would be 6000 RPM, something achieved only by miniguns and other specialty devices.  But since an "attack" in this game means one shell from a shotgun or one burst from an automatic weapon, it's quite a bit more (not that this makes any difference other than what it looks and sounds like).  Even with the mediocre accuracy and the absolutely piss-poor damage, this makes the P90 by far the best gun in the game, as it will absolutely saw through enemies in record time, and with 0.01 ROF you can not only respond to new threats in no time, but each accuracy vs. evasion calculation, not to mention critical hit calculation, takes one one-hundredth of a second.  And it has infinite ammo, like all the guns in Breach & Clear.  There are still a few guns I haven't unlocked yet, but from the looks of it they're just "solid gold" versions of normal, crappy guns with infinitesimally better stats and astronomically higher price tags.  Really, once you get the P90 and can mod it, there's not much point using anything else.  I've yet to come across an engagement that happened at greater than 25m range, but the paltry 10-12m range of the shotgun has proven a big problem on all the occasions I've attempted to use them.

I hope this was enlightening for those who were considering picking up this title, and interesting/helpful for those who already have it.  There's still quite a bit more I need to learn about the depths of the game (clearly), but hopefully this has been a learning experience.  If you have any thoughts, comments or corrections, by all means open the floodgates!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Breach & Clear
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:25:50 pm »

You silly.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:34:16 pm »

I have this on my phone, what are the features on the pc version? I was looking at it and considering it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 11:31:55 pm »

Personally I find it to be quite easy to control, as opposed to what I imagine it would be like through a touchscreen interface, but I suppose that's kind of bias since I'm not really much of a tablet/phone person.   I'm not really sure what's different between the mobile version and the PC version, as I only have the PC version.  Plenty of graphics options though, and it actually gets quite good-looking, to the point where you can actually tell the differences between your various Spec Ops soldiers by looking at the funny little hats you've given them...  And, honestly, that should be criterion enough for anybody.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 12:17:56 am »

Well is there multi floored buildings? Balanced weapons? more then four four mission campaigns?
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:29 am »

Yeah, there's about seven campaigns if I remember offhand, each with five levels.  Well, 21 campaigns if you include the Escape Route and Bomb Defusal variants of each one.  As for balanced weapons, well...  My dissertation on the P90 should make that point relatively clear.  They're not balanced worth a damn, but there are actually a lot of them.  There's some super secret weapon that looks like an M16 variant you can unlock at 2100 stars, which marks the end of the unlockable weapons, but I'm nowhere near close to unlocking it so I can't tell you what its stats or price tag are...  You basically have to beat everything on insane mode with 4/4 stars in order to get that.  I still have 2-3 of the solid gold crap weapons to unlock before I get there.

There is a campaign that features a drug kingpin's house, and each mission is presented on a different floor of the building, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you meant.  No, for each individual mission, there is only the one floor.  Much as the class skills may be confused, this isn't XCOM.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 10:44:44 am »

Yeah I might buy this when it's all done and finished with loads of features but it's just currently a more expensive version of the more complete one I got.

Also the Wedge ability is freaking awesome on Defusal since at least on the phone and the vids I've seen there always two or more doors and that can save you a lot of headaches.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 01:40:31 pm »

That, or you could just have an actually competent soldier covering the door and shooting anyone who tries to stick their head in.  Also, wedging can't be used on doors that have already been opened.

Maybe if you're using that one really expensive gun that you can drop down to 0 noise and go for an all-stealth-surprise run, then maybe you'd be able to get away with it...  But I tend to make a lot of noise shredding people, so normally the tangos like running out to see what's what.

I'unno, as mentioned I've 4-starred a great number of terrorist hunt and escape plan missions on insane difficulty (never done bomb defusal though, guess I should get around to that) without ever using it once...  I actually TRIED using it once, specifically for the sake of having the poor sod do something, but both the doors he tried to wedge were opened by baddies just before he could get to them, so the action cancelled.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 02:06:31 pm »

It's useful because you can have at least on the phone ten+ guys going through a door on insane so running in there and wedging a door to slow them down is incredibly useful, and I do the same thing you do Mk17's and Breaching shotguns all around!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 03:02:14 pm »

Yeah, if they're coming through one entryway and I have any form of cover (or even just decent armor and reactions), one soldier can easily handle that many rubes.  Nothing comes close to the pure destructive power of the P90, and shotguns are absolutely pathetic, breacher shotgun worst of all.  Waaaay too slow, and exactly zero range (not to mention it actually loses shot power over the range it does have).  Mk17 is just one of many mid-low range assault rifles that don't really distinguish themselves versus anything else.

You see, no other gun in the game can achieve the same fire rate as the P90.  Period.  The closest you can get is the LMG, which has horrid damage and can't accept upgrades (most of them anyways), or the, uh...  I don't think it's the SOPMOD, but there's some assault rifle that has a base ROF of 0.44, which you can drop down to 0.14 using the gas system and trigger setup.  That means that the next-fastest weapon can fire one burst in the same time a modded P90 takes to fire FOURTEEN.  Fourteen separate attacks.  Compare the damage ratings and you'll see who wins the fight in terms of DPS.  That's also fourteen times as many shots that can crit, and thus deal 5 times normal damage.

Yeah, the Breacher shotgun deals 150 damage on a successful, close-range hit...  But that has an ROF of, what...  1.5?  I think?  Shotguns also can't take very many mods, but I'm pretty sure they can accept gas system modifications, so let's stick the same modifications onto the P90 as the Breacher shotgun...  In this case, the only important one, being the gas system.

Breacher shotgun goes from 150 to 165 damage, ROF 1.50 to 1.30, while the P90 goes from 15 damage to 30, and 0.15 ROF to 0.01.  The Breacher also has a range of 10m and deals progressively less damage the farther out the shot gets, and the P90 maintains the same damage over its entire 25m (There's been one occasion where I've been outranged with the P90, and that was on an outdoor map).

Let's say, for the sake of simplicity for this first calculation, that all shots hit for full damage, and no criticals.  Let's see what happens in 1.3 seconds.

The shotgun fires one shot (1.30 seconds), dealing 165 damage (1 x 165).

The P90 fires one hundred and thirty shots (0.01 seconds per shot), dealing 30 damage each, and totalling (30 x 130) 3900 damage.

This also means that only a soldier's reaction speed determines how long it takes to move on to another target, as if the shotgunner had killed one guy and instantly targeted another, he'd still have to wait 1.3 seconds (long enough for pretty much any terrorist gun to get off a couple good shots) before he could fire again.  Once P90 man kills a guy, he only has to wait one one-hundredth of a second before the gun is ready to fire on the new target.

Now you see why I almost exclusively use the P90, and consider it (thus far) to be the ultimate weapon.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 03:16:54 pm »

I had the iphone version. Weapon damage just seems unclear to me, but this was last year.