Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Technical Difficulties  (Read 533 times)

Langolier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Technical Difficulties
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:47:06 am »

I guess this is more of a technical problem but I'm having a weird issue with running DF. I had what I thought was FPS death a couple days ago, but then when I started a brand spanking new fort in a new world, it was still sitting at around 7 FPS. It was even doing this at the title screen.

I did some research and apparently my video card is to blame. But here's the thing- I can still play Dungeon Crawl with zero problems, not even the speed is affected on that game. I've been killed by Sigmund over 10 times just tonight! Youtube even still works for me. I checked the init files and everything, so my question is could this be some sort of issue or bug with DF? Anybody had similar problems? I'm buying a new fancy high tech computing machine before long so it's not a huge deal, but I do miss my dorfs lately. Any insight is highly appreciated.   

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Technical Difficulties
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:33:52 pm »

7 fps?
Are you sure you're running the most current dwarf fortress? One of the legacy versions slows to a crawl if your computer is the least bit pressed for ram and processor, while the newest version runs acceptably even on a notebook. (which has a seperate keyboard issue). 

Also, open up task manager (ctrl+shift+escape on windows vista) and check for processes like selfservice.exe and sofficebin.exe-these are not viruses, but they ARE a waste of ram. (unless you're actually USING the programs involved).

Also, try a clean install of dwarf fortress.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"