Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: breaching a Volcano, how do it right  (Read 4447 times)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: breaching a Volcano, how do it right
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 09:09:59 am »

Personally I've been using the old methods and still haven't had a single problem with them. There is simply one step that must be done in the old methods or you are basically guaranteed to lose a miner. That step is that whenever you dig into the side of a magma tube you need to have another of the same task for the dwarf to leave to do immediately after. If this is a miner then you must have another digging designation somewhere for the miner to go to. If you decide to use the engrave/carve fortification job then you must have an engraving/smoothing/carving task somewhere for the dwarf to do. If you do this then the dwarf will breach the magma tube, and immediately head over to do the new task, getting them out of the magma tunnel (the stairs probably still should be too far away though). If you don't have another task for the miner/engraver to pick up immediately, they will hesitate for the briefest of instants instead of moving, which almost certainly will cause a barbecued dwarf.

This is brilliant.  I was wondering why there were some instances of them leaving immediately and other instances of them being bbq'd.  Now I know why.
Pages: 1 [2]