Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A thought occurs to me...  (Read 1397 times)

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A thought occurs to me...
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:34:05 pm »

If I kill my necromancer king consort and he comes back as a ghost, I wonder if that ghost will raise the dead...

Pullarius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A thought occurs to me...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 02:41:27 pm »

I would just keep him for training your military up or try raising dead things and sending them at goblins with airlock drawbridges.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities

- Voltaire, French author, and philosopher

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »

I've already got two other invader necromancers for military training (who are actually better for it because they can be caged).

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »

You got a necromancer king consort?! Well, my good man, make him into a vampire. That way you can use him to animate infinite hordes of goblins and use them against each other (undead don't attack vampires, I think).
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:11:35 pm »

You got a necromancer king consort?! Well, my good man, make him into a vampire. That way you can use him to animate infinite hordes of goblins and use them against each other (undead don't attack vampires, I think).

Undead don't attack the necromancers who raised them.  Also, being a member of the society, I doubt the zombies would attack his dorfs either.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:21:57 pm »

Undead don't attack the necromancers who raised them.  Also, being a member of the society, I doubt the zombies would attack his dorfs either.

Zombies attack all living beings. Necromancers are not living, that's why they don't get attacked by zombies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »

Zombies attack all living beings. Necromancers are not living, that's why they don't get attacked by zombies.
Non-necromancer/vampire dwarves, on the other hand are living and will be attacked by any zombies that see them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:38 pm »

To answer the original question, interactions don't carry over to ghosts. It used to happen with blood-sucking vampire ghosts, but Toady fixed it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 10:14:47 am »

Non-necromancer/vampire dwarves, on the other hand are living and will be attacked by any zombies that see them.
Exactly.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:31:18 pm »

vampires are night creatures and will not be attacked by undead. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 08:05:35 am »

I see an automatic vampire detector being built using the fact that zombies don't attack other undead.  I wonder, does this mean that the vampire dwarf also doesn't run away from zombies behind glass walls?  It seems that all one needs to do is designate a warren the other side of a 'caged' zombie.  Those dwarves that make it to the warren are 'delt with' in an appropriate maner.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:14:23 am »

This actually makes me wonder about the usefulness of having undead defenders with a vampire militia, even with the thirst slowdown it might be pretty good. Especially if the undead are never a problem for them.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:31 pm »

This actually makes me wonder about the usefulness of having undead defenders with a vampire militia, even with the thirst slowdown it might be pretty good. Especially if the undead are never a problem for them.

I never thought about that! I've just put my vampires in small fortifications in front of my fortress so they'd absorb enemy fire before my living dwarves move out.

Bavette

• Bay Watcher
  • The last of the great mountain giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 02:23:39 pm »

You have a king necromancer living in your fort! You have to make an army of vampires backed up by hundreds of zombies. Make the queen into a vampire and long live the queen and her consort.
"What is a dwarf? A miserable pile of !FUN!?"

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:57 pm »

You could cycle peasants in through a side door so you could siphon them between "future vampires" and "future vampire chow".