Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elaborate Goblin Grinding  (Read 1132 times)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elaborate Goblin Grinding
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »

So, I understand the goblin grinder concept, and I have made a few in my last few forts

Sadly, they've never been fed by Goblins, or anything

I keep making them more elaborate each time, adding an inside curve, making successive grinders

Now I wonder if it would work, or if the goblins would just prefer to attack my bridges

This is what I have so far

At the end, I plan to add an inside corner area that will link to a hallway and into an area behind my large stockpile
I plan at the end, a series of cage traps in case they manage to get that far
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Elaborate Goblin Grinding
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:47:16 pm »

Add long as that is the only route into your fort, the goblins will follow it.

Of course, a more simple grinder using impulse ramps and a mine cart will do the same

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »

Add long as that is the only route into your fort, the goblins will follow it.

Of course, a more simple grinder using impulse ramps and a mine cart will do the same

I'd have too much fun with that to be honest
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:30:06 pm »

Making the grinder the shortest route into your Fort would make sure Goblins only ever use that route regardless of just about anything except Dorfbait.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:56:59 pm »

Intricate grinders are sort of fun to look at, but often you then have to deal with maintenance and cleaning issues (unless you plan to just let everything killed there lie and rot.  But dwarves will need to get in and clear traps (and will path their automatically unless burrows are defined in order to keep them out.)

And if you do want to haul out the corpses and goblinite you have a lot of dwarves winding back and forth on a long and narrow path unless you put in maintenance shortcuts or build in some system for flushing the tunnel out. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart