Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to create object with lever action?  (Read 1196 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Is there any way to create object with lever action?
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:25:22 pm »

So, subj.

Is there any way to create object/liquid/something-out-of-something using only the lever action?
Not within the reaction in workshop (like in bonfire mod), but only using the lever.
Finis sanctificat media.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to create object with lever action?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:02:30 pm »

No. Workshops and creatures are the only things that can create objects/liquids right now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:05:45 pm »

You could make a 1 tile workshop that looks like a lever, needs a mechanism to be build and add a reaction called "pull the lever" that generates the item you want. Thats no problem.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »

You could make a 1 tile workshop that looks like a lever, needs a mechanism to be build and add a reaction called "pull the lever" that generates the item you want. Thats no problem.
Thanks, Captain.

I've asked for some process without involving workshops and reactions.
Finis sanctificat media.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:42:43 pm »

There isn't one.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:31 am »

I've got a thought.

Small animal that have a skin of material with colddam lower than 10000 and leave an item corpse. Something with low ignitepoint.
While in cage/animaltrap it's untouched.
And will die after releasing by lever action. Leave a boulder. That melts and ignites.

But would those vermins survive worldgen?

Will they stay alive being generated with normal colddam/heatdam temp and after editing raws to lower this temp?

Further science needed.
Finis sanctificat media.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:28 am »

May I ask what you try to accomplish?

Your vermin will die upon entering your map. They will melt.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:29 am »

An automatized minefield.

Your vermin will die upon entering your map. They will melt.
My thoughts are based on purring maggots that are somewhat alike a Schrödinger cat. You can't say if they're here in your caverns until you catch one.

So i thought again about it and decided that there's no need in vermins' death.
There's more elegant and more dwarven way - the cats that leaves a melting/vaporizing stones as itemcorpse. In cages linked to a trap plate.
Finis sanctificat media.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:43:06 pm »

An automatized minefield.
You could do this with a method very similar to Meph's turret creatures (your's is the mod with those right?). Basically you create an immobile creatures with an interaction that has a range of 1. If you really want you could use the undirected dust attack instead, which literally creates an "explosion" that will kill it and whatever it hits. In order to place the mines you then just pasture them where you want them to be.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:53 pm »

Well, yes I do have turrets. But a lot more fitting, I also do have landmines. ;) Landmines are creatures, can be bought at embark, caravans or produced in a horribly buggy reaction, creating unmoveable "friendly" landmines. I have many flavors, fire, shrapnel, ice, acid, dust, warpstone...

Best way to use them, if you want it to be lever activated: Place landmine in cage, link cage to lever, wait till enemy is near cage, release landmine. Done.

Another way for automated minefields, but only against buildings destroyers, is to spawn magma inside a workshop. It will stay till the building is razed. Troll comes along, razes the workshop, releases magma.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:43:29 pm »

>> Another way for automated minefields, but only against buildings destroyers, is to spawn magma inside a workshop.
>> It will stay till the building is razed. Troll comes along, razes the workshop, releases magma.

You can automate magmatraps against non building destroyers too, pressure plate linked to a support cave in which destroys the mamga cistern.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »

Check out the magma landmines topic.