Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins, Sieges, and Batmen  (Read 935 times)

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins, Sieges, and Batmen
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:21:52 pm »

So, my fort was coming along nice, and I've only had one siege so far before this one; however, this one is intresting for several reasons:
1. There are master bow-goblins riding cave swallows. I have no idea how I'd fight these.
2. There are trolls coming in from one side and the gobbos from another, all of the latter either on cave drakes or giant swallows. My miltia is nowhere near strong enough, help me.
3: Batmen tribes keep spamming me with the message: "The Bat(wo)man -WeaponUser- has died in the heat" yet they don't show up on my units list, and I can't zoom to the message. Not to mention they don't show up on the "Dead/Missing" list, and the only known fire monster on my map is a fire imp thats minding her own buisness at the bottom of the magma, how can I find where/why this is happening? Its really annoying.

Tl;DR: Master bow-gobbos on flying mounts, help. Too many gobbos too weak miltia, help. Batman keeps burning and I can't find out where or why.

<EDIT: I routed the siege by recruting a whole bunch of peasant marksdwarves and having them shoot down the flyers, thus sending the cowards running. And, the random deaths have stopped, so yeah. I'll probably lock this threat then.>
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:07:11 pm by Ringsea »

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins, Sieges, and Batmen
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:33:14 pm »

I believe that while the gobbo flyers can easily shoot over your walls, they still can't path into your fort's interior. So since you probably can't muster the marksdwarves you'd need to play flak your best bet is to abandon the surface parts of your fort for the time being...burrow up and either sit it out or train crossbowdwarves and send them up briefly for a shot or two then have them run back down, hoping for a lucky hit on one of the swallows.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:35:39 pm »

Is pathing for flying mounts still broaken if it is the swallows shuold just camp on the edge og the map.
as for the drakes i would sugest traps and spears 

Ringsea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 08:41:18 pm »

All intresting ideas.
Quick update:
There are 26 and counting random cave creatures that have "died in the flames" now.
Trolls and their, as it would seem, better pathing than the goblins and the drakes, found a way into the fort I never noticed, and proceded to kill 12-13 people, mostly civilians and 2 military dwarves. Lucky for me, I stopped them, put an artifact door in the entrance, and the bodies are all coffined and nobody is angry. Still several of 'em wandering around, hunting down random "friendly" trader dwarves.