Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 3 - a new game by the developer of dominions 3  (Read 17448 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 - a new game by the developer of dominions 3
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 07:40:01 pm »

On a side note is there a place to get Dom 3 that not like 40 bucks or on a Disk?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2012, 07:48:30 pm »

Do you think it worth 30 bucks I've not played it?

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »

I paid $50 for it and love it. You definitely have to find multiplayer matches to make it worth anything, though. We at Bay12 have one running right now, and there was talk of starting a quick UnitGen game (basically we'd all play a randomly generated nation) sometime in the future. There will probably be a round 10 game when the current one starts to wrap up maybe in 2 or 3 more months. Also the Shrapnel Forums are pretty active and probably a good place to find a multiplayer game, though I've never played there myself.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2012, 07:11:31 am »

Wait game take month Holy Crap how long have you been doing that round?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2012, 07:40:38 am »

Wait game take month Holy Crap how long have you been doing that round?
A single turn usually takes 24 to 48 hours to process, depending on the setup the players agree on, as well as on factors like the number of players and their distribution around the globe.
Games rarely go past turn 100, or at least I don't recall any of the ones we've had on bay12 ever getting that far.
Simple calculation shows that a game should take 3 to 6 months, but usually there are pauses due to players requiring some off-time, or players going missing or whatnot. Of course, not everybody survives to the late game, so it's much shorter for those unlucky fellows.
All in all, it's a long process. You're looking at about 15 minutes to an hour a day doing your turns, and some additional time reading up on various strategies, browsing the wiki and forums, and running trial games against the AI to develop your moves properly.
I love this setup, personally. Gives you plenty of time to think and rethink your moves, and keeps you on your toes all the time. You get back from work/school and you see the turn waiting from you, and you're all like "how did it go, how did it go?". And then it's either "phew!" or "crap, back to the drawing board".
If you're a brooding, overly analytic type then you'll probably like it as well.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2012, 08:47:53 am »

Dom 3 is great if you want a 4x game for the PC that brings the intensity of a complex strategy board game match. It requires some commitment to learn to play it properly, something I haven't even nailed down yet, but I hope to do so in the near future when I have more time. Multiplayer is really fun if you get some nice community to play with, like bay12's.
Even if you don't plan on doing multiplayer anytime soon, the game is worth purchasing if you like the whole theme of "all myths are true" and gods fighting eachother. Singleplayer isn't too bad either, and it can be fun to crush the AI while trying different strategies, altough the only purpose to do so is to sharpen yourself for the multiplayer games.

I wouldn't recommend getting it if you absolutely, 100% don't want to try multiplayer ever, though.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2012, 10:00:41 am »

I made a (somewhat terrible) post in the Play With Your Buddies section. Maybe we could get an online game going? :)

gp1628

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2012, 08:41:21 pm »

Dom3 and CoE3 have some similarities. For one thing, when you start playing each nation seems to either suck or be way too powerful. Its only later that you realize the rock-paper-scissors balance is misleading. Also on both, Id highly recommend playing the demo first because these games are not for everyone. But also true of both, if you can find any "just one more turn" addiction in the demo, then the game will be worth the purchase because every nation is unique almost to the point of being a whole new game. The time it takes just to play thru all the nations covers the cost. MP and Team play take the playtime far beyond that. And if that gets old, there are the mods and scenario maps to make it all new again. I love Illwinter.

As for the differences:
Dom3 is big. Bigger can you will ever play. Its 80% geared toward multiplayer and 20% toward solo play. Its great for people who want to do one turn a day. Or solo play where they need to break often to check the work screen or do household chores. You can think about strategy and tactics while at work or on the bus. For years!

Coe3 is smaller, faster, less micro-management. Its 80% geared toward solo play and 20% toward multiplay. In Dom3 there was one AI for 73 unique nations. In CoE3 there is a unique AI for each nation. The game is considered too random-luck for fair MP play BUT the Team play options are fantastic.

For some blurbs on Dom3 check out
http://www.Dom3Minions.com/aboutDom3.htm

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2012, 08:48:54 pm »

I don't know.. I loved the Dominions 3 demo

But then I saw how the game is actually played and I went "Ohh my goodness this game is the game of nightmares... No wonder R'leh is in the game because it is like what Cthluhu would make!"

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2012, 06:11:30 am »

Wouldn't say CoE3 is unsuitable for multiplay. Been spending the last few days multiplaying it with my brother. CoE2 was the first game I multiplayed extensively. The turns are a bit too fast though, more so than many other hotseat games, so there isn't even that 5 minute period where a bunch of people can read a book or do other things.

But in a sense, it's the first game that has a nearly constant flow if you play it with two people sitting next to each other.

The balance is poor, but tbh, it's what I love about the game. The whole losing is fun thing. Not something to be played competitively, but a great game for emergent storyline and laughs. Events can get a bit extreme sometimes, and a small one can just suddenly turn the tides of war.

It's not really that great as a solo game, IMO, because the AI is really fucking stupid/timid and the higher difficulty levels just give them more resources. I've only been playing it half a week, and I can easily take down any AI on +50% resources. You can easily tie a superior AI with double your strength with a few raids and strategic strikes.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2013, 08:40:16 am »

A bit of a necro I know! I was looking around on GamersGate though and I noticed that CoE3 is onsale today for 75% off!

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-COE3/conquest-of-elysium-3

At only $2.50 I think it's a great little game and a good gateway if you're ever thinking of getting into Dominions 3.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2013, 11:05:29 am »

Goodness Muz that is the most possitively said negative review I ever seen. I should study it since you said the most damning things about it.

Also WOW is CoE a cheaper series. Even Diminions 3 75% off would still be in the 10s of dollars.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:11:43 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]