Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding nobles  (Read 948 times)

Captain Muscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding nobles
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:34:32 pm »

I had the bright idea to mod my dwarf civ so that the mayor would be replaced by the Baron, in the hopes of simplifying the nobility list and requirements.  I added any missing responsibilities of the mayor to the Baron/Count/Duke, and allowed the B/C/D to appoint any position the mayor can appoint (and vice versa.)  Unfortunately, at some unknown point (my guess is sometime after i reached 50 dwarves and a mayor would have been elected) it seems all noble positions have disappeared except for Manager, CMD, Broker, Bookie, and 2 Militia Captains.  I can't replace the dwarves in these positions, so I assume they are only listed because they were appointed before my problem occurred.

I'm guessing that the problem has something to do with the way the various nobles are appointed.  I was thinking I'd try to get a Baron appointed in order to make this fort playable again (military commander died, so I cannot add new squads or dwarves to existing squads,) but I'm not sure that can happen since I have no one who can receive diplomats.  I'll likely just remove the mayor position from my raws entirely to do what I want for future forts.

Can anyone point me to some info about modding the positions (other than the wiki) so that I can do more improving and less mutilating next time?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:57:27 pm by Captain Muscles »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding nobles
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »

Most nobles have the tags

[APPOINTED_BY:EXPEDITION_LEADER]
[APPOINTED_BY:MAYOR]

which means, you need to have one of those two to appoint them.  You can add more

[APPOINTED_BY:xxxx]

tags where xxxx is whatever you like.  Deleting the mayor entirely would (probably) help in the sense that, then your Expedition Leader would never go away, and he could keep being the appointing authority.  I dunno if that is what you want.  If so you might want to also delete the REPLACED_BY:MAYOR tag on Exp leader to tie up that loose end.

I would point you to the wiki where this is fairly well explained but you said no ^^
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:42:41 pm by smakemupagus »

Captain Muscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:57:01 pm »

Most nobles have the tags

[APPOINTED_BY:EXPEDITION_LEADER]
[APPOINTED_BY:MAYOR]

which means, you need to have one of those two to appoint them.  You can add more

[APPOINTED_BY:xxxx]

tags where xxxx is whatever you like.  Deleting the mayor entirely would (probably) help in the sense that, then your Expedition Leader would never go away, and he could keep being the appointing authority.  I dunno if that is what you want.  If so you might want to also delete the REPLACED_BY:MAYOR tag on Exp leader to tie up that loose end.
My original goal was just to have one less jerkwad making demands by having the Mayor be part of a progression from Expedition Leader up to Duke.  I've now removed the mayor completely from my raws, along with the tags you mentioned (thanks for the reminder) and did the same with the Captain of the Guard.

I would point you to the wiki where this is fairly well explained but you said no ^^
Perhaps I was a bit hasty with that comment. =">

I was looking at the Entity Tokens and Nobles pages, which didn't seem to help much, but now I'm looking over the Position Tokens page I had previously overlooked.  Any other advice or links of any kind would be welcome.

(Addendum:)
I'm considering now removing most of the nobles in the fort and replacing them with one dwarf who will perform the duties of Mayor, Manager, Bookie, Broker, CMD, Sheriff, and Hammerer.  I'll name the position something like "Chief Dictator" or "Great Leader."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:06:22 pm by Captain Muscles »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:51:37 pm »

I would suggest to separate broker, manager, book keeper and CMD into different nobles because they all take a lot of time, your single dwarf cannot handle everything.

If you are bugged by requirements and mandates, you can remove them from all but one dwarf noble position instead.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository