Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires and traction benches  (Read 804 times)

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires and traction benches
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:59:42 pm »

tl;dr to get your vampires to stay long enough in traction benches to heal, lock them away from any other dwarves as soon as they are put in traction.

The story is, I was lucky enough to get a non-useless queen sent to my fortress, great metalcrafter, furnace operator and professional weaponsmith. Also, a vampire, which was announced first thing when she arrived. Unfortunately, spending a lot of time with dwarves has made me a bit greedy, so I felt like capitalizing on the vampire part, drafted her into the military in hopes of getting a pretty unstoppable dwarf. Since I wasn't aware of the bug that made military dwarves not wear armor, she went to combat wearing mostly full steel armor, except for the wool shoos she preferred for some reason. So the next time there's a siege, her combat reports show most hits glanced off the armor, but eventually a voracious cave crawler nearly chewed off her foot. That's where the trouble started. Broken left lower leg, overlapping fracture in left ankle, left foot cut apart.

Initially she got taken away to a hospital like any other casualty, got cleaned up and her left lower leg dressed and sutured. Then after spending a while in hospital bed, she split, went to sleep in some other dwarf's bed. She spent over a year in there, before I decided to deconstruct the bed. Doctors took her back to the hospital, started fixing her lower leg, then after a while she was gone again.

My first attempt at dealing with this was to burrow the doctors over the queen vampire, so they'd get the work done before she walks off again. This worked for the lower leg fracture, which only required splints and a cast, but wasn't enough for the overlapping fracture.

Next attempt was to lock them in the hospital, that is the chief medical dwarf, the bone doctor and their lame queen. This worked pretty well, she got evaluated daily, so by enabling the diagnoser labor on the bone doctor he built up a decent skill in the three weeks it took him to get tired. Just after the bone doctor went off to take a nap in one of the hospital beds, the queen crawled out of the traction bench and got in bed with him.

That's the point it all clicked - I've found her in some random beds by that point, so this was a perfect explanation - as soon as she sensed some dwarf went to sleep, she targeted the bed and crawled over to feed. By the time she got there, the target was long gone, so she just crashed in the bed and got stuck there.

Armed with a solid theory like that, I put together a tiny hospital room with just a traction bench and chests for supplies, deconstructed all other traction benches, and waited for the queen to be brought there. I found her at the other end of the fortress, chilling in some fish cleaner's bed. Deconstructed the bed, she got brought to the only traction bench available, I walled her in and just left her there for a few months. Without the temptation of fresh blood, she would finally stay put long enough for her ankle to heal. Success!

What I learned in the process:
1. To ensure vampires stay put long enough for bones to heal, they have to be locked away alone.
2. Dwarves in traction benches generate obscene amounts of evaluation requests, good for training the skill in dwarves. The fracture rebreaks fully when leaving the traction bench early.
3. Vampires with this bug can't feed, become effectively deactivated once they crash in someone's bed.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires and traction benches
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »

Good find. I guess blood really is irresistable to a vampire.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:46 pm »

:o Nifty.
What happens if you leave the disabled vampire in the strange dwarves' bed(s) long enough for them to return for another powernap?
I can't get any hospitals to work, at all, period, yet, so this won't help me much, but I bet with this... feature... a few players could end up with legendary doctors.  8)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

superbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:24:59 pm »

Healthcare is glitchy at best, for example my medical dwarfs prefer to use a well 10 tiles away from the hospital rather than ones in the hospital, even though these often get visitors who just come for a drink.

I've noticed a significant increase in hospital performance after
1. burrowing all the medical dwarfs in the hospital (+food supply and their preferred wells)
2. enabling all the healthcare labors for them. For some reason the dedicated suturer didn't feel like stitching up the queen the second time, after enabling suturing for all medics the bone doctor took care of that.
3. providing soap. Dwarven doctors love soap.

After doing all the above, suddenly there were more dwarves in traction and then out of the hospital. There's plenty of legendary crutch walkers in my fortress now.

As for lame vampires staying in someones bed, it doesn't seem to matter if the owner goes to sleep there. The queen just stayed there, getting positive thoughts about having plenty of rest and some negative ones about clothes rotting away on her. All in all, she was pretty happy about the whole ordeal.