Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfall Weaponization  (Read 1538 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Waterfall Weaponization
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:44:47 pm »

So the other day I was thinking about how dwarves walk by the top of waterfalls and get swept off. There must be some way to weaponize this. So here's what I came up with.

By the edge of the waterfall, build two bridges on either side of the stream that raise toward the waterfall, forming two walls that you can raise and lower at will. Then link them both to a lever. Flip the lever, raising both bridges. Next to this build a safe bridge for dwarves to cross. Link this to another lever.

When baddies come, simply flip both levers, causing the edge of the waterfall to become an available path and the safe bridge to raise. The baddies will cross the waterfall's top and be swept over. There they will either drown or be devoured by carp/alligators.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall Weaponization
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:52:47 pm »

What about a bridge full of "dodge me" wooden spiked ball traps?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:25:19 am »

Might want to pull the lever and then attach the new bridge to the same lever, so you only need one pull.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:50:00 am »

Such simple solutions.

No.

Build a hard walkway x tiles from the waterfall. Divert the falls, and build a bridge reaching x-1 tiles, one z higher. When invaders, come, extend the bridge, and watch the pressurized water wash them away. Water triggered pressure plates linked to upright spike traps can also add entertainment. Especially if they trigger in sequence, forcing the enemies onto the walkway to escape them.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:21:05 am »

Might want to pull the lever and then attach the new bridge to the same lever, so you only need one pull.

A lever has On/Off toggle. If you pull it once, toggling it to "On", and then attach another object to it, when the lever is pulled again, toggling it to "Off", the second object wont react, as it is being assigned to its "off" state rather than just being toggled.

Otherwords, build bridge 1, attach lever, pull(ON). bridge 1 goes up(ON). build bridge 2, attach to same lever, pull(OFF). bridge 1 goes down(OFF), bridge 2 doesnt react(OFF)

I've tried this before to make alternating paths, didn't work.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:38:13 am »

A lever has On/Off toggle. If you pull it once, toggling it to "On", and then attach another object to it, when the lever is pulled again, toggling it to "Off", the second object wont react, as it is being assigned to its "off" state rather than just being toggled.

Otherwords, build bridge 1, attach lever, pull(ON). bridge 1 goes up(ON). build bridge 2, attach to same lever, pull(OFF). bridge 1 goes down(OFF), bridge 2 doesnt react(OFF)

FYI, floodgates are closed when bridges are open, and vice-versa.  Also, if you use a retractable bridge as a vertical 'door', the retractable bridge is "closed" when normal drawbridges are open.  Maybe one of these ideas would help you re-engineer your idea?

My take on this subject: it's kind of silly to weaponize the waterfall itself when you could so easily weaponize the cliff/chasm that is right next to it.  My idea for a future fort is to build my main entrance into the waterfall (using drawbridges that, when opened, divert the waterfall around the entryway and back underneath it onto its original course).  Invaders will enter by walking on a bridge over a big drop.  This could be exploited a number of ways: dodge traps to send enemies into the chasm, retracting trapdoor bridges, siege engines sweeping the bridge from the opposite cliffside, etc.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 05:05:11 pm »

Doors also operate in alternate states to bridges.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:43 pm »

I sort of like an idea of using a retracting bridge over a lower path.

The retracting bridge is on top and basically extends the waterfall out over and past the lower bridge.  The lower bridge leads to the entrance.

When the upper bridge retracts, the waterfall essentially moves n tiles upstream and now dumps straight down onto the lower path.

I'm gonna try that!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:00:43 pm »

There's actually a way to make it work: always pull the lever TWICE. The result ends up working as follows:
Brige 1 is ON (raised), Bridge 2 is OFF (lowered), Lever is OFF
Pull lever (OFF -> ON), bridge 1 does nothing (already ON), bridge 2 starts raising(OFF -> ON), pull lever again (ON -> OFF), bridge 1 starts raising (ON -> OFF), bridge 2 ignores signal (already performing OFF -> ON).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:25:41 am »

Or use z-levels and retracting bridge vs drawbridge to control access.

Code: [Select]
RB_____
_/     \_

Path granted when open, blocked when closed; opposite behavior of traditional drawbridges
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.