Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Towers.  (Read 941 times)

Mooglit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Towers.
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:38:07 pm »

So I've been looking for a little bit of Tower-FUN recently, having played regular forts, evil-biome forts, one-pick-in-a-terrifying-glacier-no-skilled-dwarves fort (Which was a stunning success.) and assorted others.

I create a new world, that has two towers in rather close proximity to one another. -Awesome- I think, plonking my dwarves right in the middle of them.

First visit? Two zombies.

Are zombie numbers static? Because this isn't the first time I've had such paltry numbers in terms of visitors. >:T
I let the world grow for 150 years before starting. Will longer periods of time give them more bodies? Is tower proximity a factor? Tower-proximity to a city, or race? Will Dwarven towers not attack dwarven fortresses?
Or is it just completely randomised?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Towers.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »

It varies.  You can check it by looking at the world population after worldgen, before you accept the world.  The tower populations are listed there.

IIRC, it's rare to see a single tower with more than 100 undead.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:41:45 pm »

Don't underestimate those two zombies. I've recently had an entire fort wiped out by 5 zombies from a nearbye tower. Also i believe the number of zombies is somehow proportional to the overall fort size.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:06 pm »

Necromancers recruit zombies by looting old battlefields. The main factors should be time and tower-proximity to at least two civilizations at war.

Try raising the number of sites and civilizations.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:20 pm »

So I've been looking for a little bit of Tower-FUN recently, having played regular forts, evil-biome forts, one-pick-in-a-terrifying-glacier-no-skilled-dwarves fort (Which was a stunning success.) and assorted others.

I create a new world, that has two towers in rather close proximity to one another. -Awesome- I think, plonking my dwarves right in the middle of them.

First visit? Two zombies.

Are zombie numbers static? Because this isn't the first time I've had such paltry numbers in terms of visitors. >:T
I let the world grow for 150 years before starting. Will longer periods of time give them more bodies? Is tower proximity a factor? Tower-proximity to a city, or race? Will Dwarven towers not attack dwarven fortresses?
Or is it just completely randomised?
When did you get these visitors?
I'm 2 years into my fort with 60 civs and I didn't even get one yet.
I know I am close enough to one.

Mooglit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 08:24:49 pm »

When did you get these visitors?
I'm 2 years into my fort with 60 civs and I didn't even get one yet.
I know I am close enough to one.

It was early into the second year that they 'siege'd me. I annoyedly atom-smashed one, then sent a dwarf out with a steel mace to punch in the other.

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:44:09 am »

I have a world that worldgen ran for 550 years in which I embarked near a tower, go to a hundred dwarves and then was mercilessly slaughtered by over a hundred zombies in one siege. That was Fun, but just as I was about to mass suicide charge them the game crashed as I attempted to fill in ten squads with draftees. It's possible to get a very large number of zombies, at any rate, and I also had two necromancers follow them in.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:20:07 am »

Likewise but different:

Young world (year 119), and in the autumn of my first year 4 zombies showed up (and I think prevented the first caravan as a result?). The following year about 40 arrived, triggering goblin ambushes - lovely battle on the surface as my dwarves cowered below. I am expecting larger undead sieges - certainly felt like a decent escalation...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:21:17 am »

on the bright side, the zombies will fight the goblins.  zombies usually win, especially if there's a necro with them. 
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.