Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Liason accompanies you to Site and leaves immediately  (Read 598 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Dwarf Liason accompanies you to Site and leaves immediately
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:40:29 am »

I enjoy running small forts that have limited workforce and no chance of nobility until children mature. Currently the population limit set in the init does not take effect until the Liason has visited your fort and left alive. This means I have trouble staying below 50 migrants and I can only imagine the endless undead this could spawn if the liason is particularly unlucky.

Therefore I submit the fix in the thread title, with no knowledge of whether it is a feasible solution with a favorable equation regarding ease of addition. Perhaps the liason could spawn directly on the map edge so as to be able to leave safely.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:50:44 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Liason accompanies you to Site and leaves immediately
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:49 am »

That could cause problems once units on the world map are actually moving. And it doesn't make much sense to send a diplomat along with the settlers.

A simpler (and more logical fix) would be to read the population cap on embark. It would mean that the settlers instructed the mountainhomes to send at most this number of immigrants when they left.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:59:27 am »

Making no immigrants arrive until the first liaison visit actually sounds like a both plausible, useful and fun mechanic to add. For one, I doubt any settlers would head out to join the new fortress before they had gotten word that the settlement were alive and prospering, for all they know before that the 7 dwarves could've been killed off instantly and the land be a deathtrap. It'd also make the first year a bit more exciting, since you know you'd have to keep the 7 starting dwarves alive until the caravan shows up, and not be all too reckless with them knowing you'd soon get replacements.

Then again this will most likely make it in in some way when we get starting scenarios, however I still think not getting migrants until the first liaison have left safely should be the default setting.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:10:14 pm »

That sounds like a realistic and useful change.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.