Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My meat is rotting fastly.  (Read 1708 times)

lavions

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My meat is rotting fastly.
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:53:40 am »

Hi, how I can avoid rotting meat? I slaughter animal and before cooker cook all of the meat it gets rotten.

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
Re: My meat is rotting fastly.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:00:29 am »

What has helped me is storing it in containers away from vermin that cause it to rot. Usually at the stone level or lower dirt levels, but that's just me. What size of animals are you butchering? A cow, or a few dragons and whales? If it is the latter is understandable that they rot.
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:34 am »

stockpiles will help keep your food from spoiling, especially if they're in barrels, and especially if you have cats to keep the vermin out of your food.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:30:28 am »

Hi, how I can avoid rotting meat? I slaughter animal and before cooker cook all of the meat it gets rotten.

Barrels are light, but use your wood.  Stone pots preserve your wood for beds and smelters (until you find magma) and provide excellent food and drink storage, but, they stink when you decide to trade surplus meals because it takes so long to haul them to the depot.
The choice between pots or barrels is your own.  Just be sure to keep a small surplus of them and provide plenty of food/drink storage space near the kitchens, stills and dining halls.

stockpiles will help keep your food from spoiling, especially if they're in barrels, and especially if you have cats to keep the vermin out of your food.

On my present embark, I zoned a pasture over my food stockpiles and assigned a cat to each one.  So far it appears to be working.  I'm attempting to capture some Peregrine Falcons so I can eliminate these cats as soon as they're no longer pets or they die naturally.
irl I love cats, but in DF "DIE DIE DIE!!!"
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »

What has helped me is storing it in containers away from vermin that cause it to rot.
Vermin don't rot raw meat, or if they do it's insignificantly slow. They will eat it, but all that does is remove one from the stack.

Is the meat going to a food stockpile after it's created in the butcher's shop?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »

Sounds like there may some confusion with the cooking skill as well. You don't need to "cook" meat before dwarves can eat it. It comes prepared right off the cow/horse/cat/modded elf.

Just make sure its going straightaway into a barrel or stockpile. It'll keep for ages.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:18:26 pm »

The meat rots it if sits around your butcher's shop.  It will be fine if it's stockpiled.  Make sure your "food" stockpile isn't glutted with dimple cups or something.