Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Valley Without Wind (2)  (Read 4911 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: A Valley Without Wind (2)
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:54 pm »

They do have credit on my book for refunding buyers with version 2 after the V1 fiasco. Same goes for stardock giving me fallen enchantress for free (not that it was a big improvement)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 04:26:09 pm »

Does it count as refunding if you can still play the first one, though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 05:08:25 pm »

Stardock only ever refunded me half on Elemental, even though it was missing features they advertised.  Stardock is firmly in my asshat category.

I like the Arcen guys despite the first game not being that great(to me anyway).  I would have liked them even if they didn't give us all the second version of the game, because at least they were honest about everything and seemed to take criticism pretty well.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

I've invested a decent chunk of time into this; they've definitely improved the strategy function of the game since their earlier beta builds, but the actual action segments (which is really what makes or breaks the game to me) feels severely lacking. Most of the levels just feel like a rush to get through them, killing enemies is more of process of making the level quicker/safer to rush through than an actual feeling of refined combat. Increasing the difficulty levels just makes the game feel like more of a bullet hell type game where you're still just trying to rush to the end either to move on to the next strategy turn, or to just keep your character on par with the enemy's increasing statistics. The combat simply needs more elements to round it out, and enemies could use a bit more complexity. The big difference to me between AVWW and it's sequel is that the strategy element and the action element always seem to overlap and overshadow the other. I'm sure the developers will find the right balance, but it's definitely going to take a bit of time.

Despite any negativity though, I've found the game to be pretty fun and addicting. I really hope they get their money's development time's worth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:03 pm »

Quote from: Chris, lead Arcen dev
This one addresses a few minor issues, as well as properly filling out the beta player contributors credits list.

More newsworthy, undoubtedly, is the addition of a new option in the settings menu that enables mouse-aiming.  This is something I said I'd never do for this game, but apparently never say never.

I maintain my stance that mouse aiming makes for a watered-down experience, and that the better gameplay model is with a gamepad or the keyboard.  However, there is a sizable contingent of players who disagree with me.

Let me back up for a minute:  I felt like I was rather bullied into adding mouse controls to the first game, and that was to the detriment of that game.  The gamepad controls and keyboard-only controls were really gimped by the presence of those mouse controls, but the mouse controls were what most people (including myself) used.

With the sequel I wanted to have a tighter experience that did away with the mouse controls and was a more traditional platformer in how it controlled.  In that, I succeeded.  The gamepad and keyboard controls rock in Valley 2.

However, there are some people who simply can't play the game without mouse controls, apparently.  I say that with only mild bitterness, heh.  In all seriousness, there are people who simply have not learned that method of controlling games.  It's the longer-standing method of controlling games, but that's really irrelevant.

I remember how I felt when I was first exposed to dual-stick FPS controls on consoles -- I thought it was the most terrible thing ever.  Now I think it's fine, but again that's beside the point.  I also remember how hard I found the transition from being a keyboard-only FPS player to a mouse+keyboard FPS player (yes, I'm old), but once I did make that transition I never looked back -- WASD plus mouse is incredibly superior for FPS games.

The point is, there are apparently a sizeable group of people who feel the same way when it comes to sidescrollers.  I still disagree, and I encourage those people at least to give the gamepad or keyboard controls a shot.  However, I remember how I basically found dual-stick shooters unplayable at first, and if that's how the keyboard/gamepad controls made you feel about Valley 2, then there's now a salve, at least.

Anyhow, long story short, not for the first time I'm forced to eat my words.  Never say never and all that.  I'm sure it won't be the last time either.  For those people who were put off by the lack of mouse controls, hopefully now you'll find the game to be actually something you can play.

UPDATE: 1.002 is now out to fix an issue where the mouse aiming was accidentally on by default, and improve documentation in the game associated with mouse aiming.

So, mouse aim, both valleys have it. But this time its considered the accessibility mode, not the default.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 [3]