Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to find a source of flooding?  (Read 725 times)

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to find a source of flooding?
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:19:39 pm »

Aquifer problems, i think.
My map have 9 level aquifer going straight to the first cavern(in world parameters 2 is max), then i breach it and start to colonize this piece of mud. So, everything was fine until i mine some 1x1 pillars and water just start flowing from somewhere. At the begining i just one-step my pause screen to look where the biggest depth is(3), but it is just moving around. Can it be the "roof"? And if yes, what to do?
Screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry for my bad english

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: How to find a source of flooding?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:35:41 pm »

It can be the "roof" and probably is -- you have to get a layer between you and the aquifer to dig safely, otherwise it will release its water down.

Assuming you're not interested in DF Hacking your way out of aquifer, Your best, possibly only answer is to seal off what you can, making sure your stairs down are protected from the flow.  If you claim any caverns 1, that's gravy: you're going to have to dig deeper.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:26:13 pm »

What is immediately above that z-level? It almost sounds like you dug the floor out of something that is now leaking.  I can't remember whether aquifers feed water downward, but if they do (as implied above) then that is probably the issue. Whatever  you dug last in that area is where you'd want to start trying to wall stuff in.

Alternately, you could use this to create a stream/waterfall that your dwarves have to walk through so they get bathed every time they go through the area.  You will need to make sure you have secure drainage for that, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:20:11 pm »

What is immediately above that z-level? It almost sounds like you dug the floor out of something that is now leaking.  I can't remember whether aquifers feed water downward, but if they do (as implied above) then that is probably the issue. Whatever  you dug last in that area is where you'd want to start trying to wall stuff in.

If you dig into the layer of stone directly below the aquifer AT ALL, besides where you penetrated it, the aquifer will flood out of the ceiling. Pretty irritating, especially when the last few embarks I've had all had a ton of limonite trapped in a conglomerate stone aquifer.

Fluffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:37:19 pm »

Well, looks like aquifer was leaking from the "roof" which was solid rock, i dug channels where in my crappy memory was those 1x1 pilars and flooding is stopped. Below aquifer too, so problem solved, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:39:20 pm by Fluffy »
Sorry for my bad english