Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1755 times)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeons & Dwarf Fortress
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:12:45 pm »

I will soon be starting a game of D&D with a few of my buddies. I have been thinking it would be fun to play a DF inspired character (even though my buddies may not get the references). If we are going to play a good troop i was thinking of rolling a chaotic good dwarf cleric who specializes in drunken combat and needs alcohol to get through the working day. If we are going evil I want to be be a cannibalistic lawful evil elf ranger who fiercely opposes the destruction or exploitation of nature.

Does anyone have any ideas, tips, quirks or cool rp moments for either of these characters? I would love to hear your ideas.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Dorftrottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »

If you are playing 4th edition, you might think about playing an artificer. (if not already someone else does so, given that artificers are often regared as overpowered jacks of all trades)
I can see plenty of DF-related potential in artificers, from going into strange moods while designing or improving equipment to dwarfen health care ("your toenail has been split by a goblin? Now more booze for you, lad! Now,where did i leave my inflatable traction bench...") to telling storys about great historical events including magma cannons and railguns.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:52:26 am by Dorftrottel »

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:02:57 pm »

eat your companions if they die
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:34 pm »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:31:31 am »

eat your companions if they die
A DF elf would have to kill them himself to find this morally ok.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:13:43 am »

I've actually incorporated DF elements as Dungeon Master, including dungeons and cities based off fortresses, using DF dwarven for dwarf names (including place and item names), engravings/description, and the occasional Forgotten Beast for those players that know the monster manuals cover-to-cover.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:45 am »

If you're playing 3.5 and psionic characters are allowed, consider being aiming for Thrallherd and playing the overseer.  Your companions might appreciate having a scarily well-defended fortress to fall back to when things go south.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:42:29 am »

I will soon start a d&d campaign as well(as Master, though). I will make a heavily dwarf fortress inspired campaign. ( i am currently
looking for ideas)

The pc's will start as prisioners, accussed of violating mandates or something equally random. And , to avoid a visit to the hammerer,
will have to go to reclaim some hellhole.

Any ideas? Anithing is good.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 01:44:41 pm »

Lords of Madness has some good weird subterranean monsters and character options to put to use.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.