Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Domestication?  (Read 616 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Domestication?
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:36 pm »

Possibly a stupid question but is it possible to raise you civ’s level of familiarity with a creature to “domesticated”? If so, can you embark with those creatures in subsequent forts in the same world?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
Re: Domestication?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:23 pm »

As I understand it, no. All creatures that don't start as domesticated can never have their status become domesticated, as far as the Civ is concerned.
However, Your civs familiarity increases slowly, so it's easier to tame them in subsequent forts. Also your animals in that fort will create offspring that inherit the trained status of the mother, eventually resulting in perfectly domesticated fortress stock of whatever animals you have access to.

I myself have a ton of Boars, which has made me highly interested in boar bacon and hope to eat someday soon. I also modded them slightly so I can have war boars *cackles maniacally*

Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Domestication?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:32:54 pm »

You can raise familiarity but no, you can't hit Domesticated.  I heard that you're supposed to be able to hit Domesticated, but the code just isn't working quite right yet.  I hope that's fixed sometime soon, I like collecting, training, and breeding critters.  If nothing else it's pretty funny to have a fortress where everything that can be is made of badger leather and badger bone.  Even a badger leather artifact shield with badger bone spikes and pictures of badgers on it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.