Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: training crutchwalking!  (Read 939 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
training crutchwalking!
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »

knee infusion today.  awful shit, my knee's swelled with water.  good news is i can train my crutch walking guys :)
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
Re: training crutchwalking!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »

This is what happens when someone stays on Bay12forums for too long.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:30:50 pm »

Fastest way to build strength - no lie.

I was on crutches for a year after I tore my ACL, including most of my first year of college... in a campus that's basically all hills and slopes one way or another, and having to go at least a couple miles total per day to get around classes. 

I think I hit "Legendary" - I could actually crutch at a speed faster than my usual walking pace and get to a "jogging" pace on crutches eventually.  It involved pendular swings that freaked everyone around me out seeing it, especially with my backpack swinging wildly while going down slopes.

One recommendation - duck tape extra rags to pad the crutches.  Your armpits will bleed from friction.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:18:55 am »

chaos: Lol, just looking for a bright side.  It's awful pain.
NW: You're in a worse situatiation than me it sounds, however, I cannot move that leg at all without extreme pain, and one wrong turn of the leg will stiffen it to the point where I cannot move without help.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:50:46 am »

In high school I got a bad gash on my left leg that put me in crutches for quite a while.  Stitches in the muscle meant I had to learn not to contract it (or bump my toe and cause swinging *wince*), or face some pretty searing pains.  By the time I was healed, I had gotten so used to suppressing movement of the muscle that I couldn't walk normally - ended up using the crutches for half again as long as I probably needed to just because of the mental block. 

Don't know what in particular your situation is, but it sure does suck to have your ability to move taken away.  Here's hoping you get better before your crutchwalking skill gain outpaces your walking skill rust!
where is up?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:28 am »

thanks caldfir.  it shouldn't rust, because i still attempt to walk every once and awhile, without the crutches.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:18:25 pm »

Yeah, there's a way you're supposed to crutch-walk, where you put as much weight on your bad foot as possible, and just lean on your crutches to take some of the weight off, and it trains up your walking (or just prevents the rust) and helps you heal faster...

It's just that it's much slower to get around doing that than using crutches as leverage to swing and leap with one foot.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:55:56 am »

I remember being on crutches for a week straight I ended up picking up a Hydras corpse with one hand

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:45 am »

i just realized what your name meant! i always didnt pay much attention to it. lol