Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clear Glass Forgotten Beast  (Read 2264 times)

Acthpau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clear Glass Forgotten Beast
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:51:51 pm »

Before I send my military in, how hard are these things to kill? I've heard that they don't die unless beheaded.

Here is the forgotten beast silk farm:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:23:08 am by Acthpau »

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clear Glass Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:03:56 pm »

Yea that sounds about right. In adventure mode one of my companions shot one in the head with a cross bow and that seemed to kill it though. It might be different because it was a titan but I think the only difference is name and location.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »

Might be interesting. Seeing as it's glass, pieces could just shatter off. Of course, with glass' buggy edge values, it could also just shear right through steel armor.

Go for it. Could be Fun.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 02:49:08 pm »

glass' buggy edge values
Glass doesn't have buggy edge values - that was fixed nearly 2 years ago (in version 0.31.22).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:10:41 pm »

Inrganic creatures are inmune to most things. In this case, only bisection or decapitatin will kill the thing. But a trained , steel equiped
military shouldn't have mucho trouble killing it.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Acthpau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:30:57 pm »

Inrganic creatures are inmune to most things. In this case, only bisection or decapitatin will kill the thing. But a trained , steel equiped
military shouldn't have mucho trouble killing it.

Haha, steel equipped, only in my dreams could I have that. Nope, all I have is tetrahedrite as far as the eye can see.

Nixonitus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sponges are the new God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 04:28:46 pm »

I know that feel... For some reason my steel production never sees fruition. So my men are usually marching in silver, or bronze if I am lucky.
"Urist, the food is revolting."
"It's always been revolting."
"But now it's rebelling!"

Acthpau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48:38 pm »

New Update: Tried to fight it over cage traps and trapped two of my dwarves when they were webbed. Currently the fight still rages on and although at first it wielded an unbeatable web-headshot combo, one dog was enough to constantly distract it from its careful targetting. It's currently spamming webs and moves around despite having no feet at all and one missing leg. Everything is red if not grey, except its shell which is yellow. All punches glance away and spears attacks usually fracture, but this doesn't really mean much. I'm starting to get bored. Oh and everyone I can get is attacking it. One of its feet weighs 477, I'm gonna leave everyone to fight while I watch QI. FUCK IT, RELEASE THE MINOTAUR AND THE TROGLODYTES.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:08:30 pm by Acthpau »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:43:17 pm »

I know that feel... For some reason my steel production never sees fruition. So my men are usually marching in silver, or bronze if I am lucky.
Really? I usually find that flux and iron are both much more common than tin! I don't think I've ever had a bronze equipped military. The only embarks I've ever had that had a decent amount of tin were also swimming in iron.

New Update: Tried to fight it over cage traps and trapped two of my dwarves when they were webbed. Currently the fight still rages on and although at first it wielded an unbeatable web-headshot combo, one dog was enough to constantly distract it from its careful targetting. It's currently spamming webs and moves around despite having no feet at all and one missing leg. Everything is red if not grey, except its shell which is yellow. All punches glance away and spears attacks usually fracture, but this doesn't really mean much. I'm starting to get bored. Oh and everyone I can get is attacking it. One of its feet weighs 477, I'm gonna leave everyone to fight while I watch QI. FUCK IT, RELEASE THE MINOTAUR AND THE TROGLODYTES.
You failed to mention the webs before! That's a much more deadly attribute than being made out of glass! Also, piercing weapons like spears are going to be near worthless against him, since it probably doesn't have any vital internal organs to damage. You want axes. Swords are also acceptable. Anything that uses slashing/hacking attacks. Hammers and maces won't help unless your hammerdwarves are very good with them and can knock its head off.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:50:08 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Acthpau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »

Really? I usually find that flux and iron are both much more common than tin! I don't think I've ever had a bronze equipped military. The only embarks I've ever had that had a decent amount of tin were also swimming in iron.

You failed to mention the webs before! That's a much more deadly attribute than being made out of glass! Also, piercing weapons like spears are going to be near worthless against him, since it probably doesn't have any vital internal organs to damage. You want axes. Swords are also acceptable. Anything that uses slashing/hacking attacks. Hammers and maces won't help unless your hammerdwarves are very good with them and can knock its head off.

I savescummed and have now set up an ingenious trap and silk farm combined. Unfortunately, as is the case in dwarf fortress, the beds I set up to lure the beast have sleeping dwarves in them...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:27:26 pm by Acthpau »

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:38:03 pm »

I once had a clear glass titan

It was killed by a hunter. Didn't even make it to the fort. I forget their skill level though, but it was a team job between them and a competent swordsman after downing 2 hammerdwarves.

Have fun. They shouldn't be too hard.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:06 am »

Webs are surprisingly nasty, though organic or swirly(fire, steam, snow, etc.) FBs and Titans are still decently easy to kill, even with webs.  IMO not QUITE as bad as Deadly Dust that, IIRC, still flings dwarves around with the lethality of cave-in dust.

FB silk is the best silk though.  Maybe not the most valuable, but the best.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 02:43:20 am »

FB silk is the best silk though.  Maybe not the most valuable, but the best.

Certainly the most second most awesome (I reckon demon-webs are at the top of the awesomeness list). See if you can trap the thing somewhere, and use it for silk farming. It can be done; my first silk farm was an FB one.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 04:01:11 am »

Clear glass FB with WEBS ? You may want to hide in a hole.

Or engage it with marksdwarves. But it's too late now, have FUN.