Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Safely mining adamantine  (Read 13114 times)

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safely mining adamantine
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 07:47:49 am »

So even if you fill the cracks, What's to stop the lag after the clown invasion has been activated?

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:46 am »

So even if you fill the cracks, What's to stop the lag after the clown invasion has been activated?
Necromancer!

What do we have to stop the lag? Only our bodies, and our axes, and our traps. Our garbage disposals, our caveins and our magma. Our !!SCIENCE!!. To war, lads.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:53 am »

-The topmost layer of adamantine has always been safe in my experience
-Considering the passage to hell is always 2*2 tiles wide, iles of adamantine that are not part of a 4x4 block are safe to mine.  Unless they are next to the magma sea, of course.
-DFhack. 

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 01:16:54 pm »

I just collapsed a 10z tall 2x2 column into a spire and the entire clown car teleported into a single tile of solid obsidian at the top of the spire while I recieved the screams ect. message even though nothing extra was revealed. They seem to be safely stuck in there without any FPS hit. The solid tile they are in is surrounded on all side by more solid tiles. I'm not sure if they would be able to move out to an adjecent open tile if I mined out around them - probably not.

I could smooth and engrave an obsidian pillar that contains the forces of hell. Might be able to carve it into a fortification via dwarf sacrifice and have them still trapped inside - ULTIMATE PILLBOX (couple flame spirits in there), just poorly located. Might test if creatures living in solid obsidian will survive when the pillar is collapsed and dropped 15 z-levels. I wonder if a miner could mine himself out if one was trapped alive in solid obsidianÉ

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 02:17:53 pm »

That's an interesting way of scoping the shaft. Reveal one floor layer at a time, then drop a huge column on it. If it doesn't go through the spire, all the tiles directly beneath it are solid rock. If it does, then you've found the point at which the shaft becomes hollow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 03:46:40 pm »

I just collapsed a 10z tall 2x2 column into a spire and the entire clown car teleported into a single tile of solid obsidian at the top of the spire while I recieved the screams ect. message even though nothing extra was revealed. They seem to be safely stuck in there without any FPS hit. The solid tile they are in is surrounded on all side by more solid tiles. I'm not sure if they would be able to move out to an adjecent open tile if I mined out around them - probably not.

I believe you just won the game.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 04:55:49 pm »

Like flies stuck in amber, it seems...

I'm all for smoothing and engraving this obelisk.  Hopefully, the RNG will create at least a few engravings suited to the nature of what is contained within.

You should see if the presence of the trapped demons prevents any more from spawning on the map edges of hell like wildlife.  If it does, you can colonize in complete peace.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »

Apparently clowns can move from inside a solid wall tile to an adjacent empty tile - FPS hit and then fireball spam at the !!miner!!. Smoothing and carving fortifications around them had peculiar results that seemed to indicate a creature inside a wall cannot see/ be seen orthagonally but might be able to see/ be seen diagonally - test abandonned as a failure due to no fireball spam though.

Test-collapsing the tile has to be abondonned as well since the 3x3 section must be dropped whole to prevent escape and it borders on the magma sea on one side. I just don't have the population for another major sacrifice of dwarves to gain access to any more of the magma sea floor for construction.

You should see if the presence of the trapped demons prevents any more from spawning on the map edges of hell like wildlife.  If it does, you can colonize in complete peace.

This is an interesting thought. I'm too invested in this fort's mega-projects right now to risk breaching the circus, and my military is dropping like flies from old age but that will have to be investigated as an end-game scenario after the BLACK H.A.L.O. is completed. I do have about 1k of steel bars stockpiled.

For now they are trapped behind walls covered with un-inspired engravings; This is an exceptional image of a muck root.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 03:31:59 am »

so wait... did someone just invent the equivalent of a magma piston, but for clowns?
Pages: 1 2 [3]