Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regenerating lost limbs, rapid regeneration, and disabling regeneration  (Read 1660 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile

1) Certain creatures can regenerate lost body parts. This can range to just limbs, to every part and vital organ of the body save the head. Mostly this applies to bogeymen and other randomly generated monsters.

2) Certain creatures heal at an extremely fast rate. This is already sorta moddable considering the whole healrate physical stat, but it could be touched up a bit I imagine since now we'd be dealing in minutes rather than days. Pumping them full of bolts will leave them standing. This doesn't necessarily mean they can regenerate completely severed limbs.

3) Certain materials can temporarily disable regeneration in other creatures. Wounding a werewolf with silver weaponry will leave a mark that stays, if we're opting for rapidly healing werewolves that can't be killed by anything but silver. More importantly, items aligned with certain spheres can disable regeneration in creatures aligned with opposite spheres. Or you could have good-aligned weaponry fail to inflict lasting damage on an innocent being because they suddenly GAIN rapid regeneration.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: Regenerating lost limbs, rapid regeneration, and disabling regeneration
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:42 pm »

Interesting concepts. Might make the weaknesses of supernatural creatures much more important, for one.

Of course, I'd love to start pummeling the elves with their wooden weapons, but what would that accomplish? I guess, with this, it would probably be less effective...
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:59 pm »

1) Certain creatures can regenerate lost body parts. This can range to just limbs, to every part and vital organ of the body save the head. Mostly this applies to bogeymen and other randomly generated monsters.
Depending on regeneration speed, perhaps the head too.
Ideally, sufficiently swift regeneration would also allow severed limbs and such to grow back into a whole creature.

2) Certain creatures heal at an extremely fast rate. This is already sorta moddable considering the whole healrate physical stat, but it could be touched up a bit I imagine since now we'd be dealing in minutes rather than days. Pumping them full of bolts will leave them standing. This doesn't necessarily mean they can regenerate completely severed limbs.
Hm...Must test to see how much healing rates can affect this.

3) Certain materials can temporarily disable regeneration in other creatures. Wounding a werewolf with silver weaponry will leave a mark that stays, if we're opting for rapidly healing werewolves that can't be killed by anything but silver. More importantly, items aligned with certain spheres can disable regeneration in creatures aligned with opposite spheres. Or you could have good-aligned weaponry fail to inflict lasting damage on an innocent being because they suddenly GAIN rapid regeneration.
This all sounds good, especially the last. Depending on if the regeneration works on all wounds, it could also have...interesting implications.
"By the Power of Uben the Water of Fishes, be healed!" *thwack*
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:27 pm »

Love it. Perhaps also you can have something else grow back, instead of the original part.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:11 am »

As in, chop of arm, 5 tentacles grow in its place???
RADICAL.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:35:37 am »

Yeah, hydrae need to have better regeneration and head spam.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:57:23 am »

Yeah, hydrae need to have better regeneration and head spam.

Trust me they will have Head Spam just as soon as the combat and movement speed seperation happens. Which is soon.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:30:22 pm »

This is, to my limited knowledge, something ToadyOne would like to do for beings like trolls and werewolves (with possible counter-measures like silver and fire/acid), but the code hasn't gotten that far, yet.

By the way, I wonder if ice would also foil regeneration?

Note, I'm a badger, not a doctor, so really don't take this as medical advice or anything, but I learned from a synopsis of a Punisher comic (can you start to see already why you shouldn't take this as medical advice?), that if you should ever cut off your finger or toe (let's hope not!) then you should never apply ice directly to the severed digit, or the wound, because direct ice will destroy the necessary nerve-cells, and hamper or prevent their eventual regeneration.

Instead, it's suggested in the comic that the ice should instead be wrapped in plastic, so that the insulating layer will protect the cells, allowing them to heal later, if the digit can be reattached.

Again, I'm not a doctor, and I don't exist for purposes of litigation, for that matter.

It's the same idea with fire or acid or strong bases, too, where the chemical reaction damages the cells to the point where they don't heal in quite the same way they otherwise should (goes the D&D rationale for why "Kill it with fire!" applies to trolls, anyway).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:41:15 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:26:20 pm »

Currently its possible to adjust the healing rate as well as the strength of organic components. So you could mod in a troll with nearly instant healing. I don't know if there is any way to give them a weakness for fire, or for that matter if there is any way to use fire as an attack other than simple flooding the place with magma. Poison is already in the game, including species-specific poison, like gnomeblight. Only problem with poison is that there really is no delivery system. If poisons could be created and then applied to weapons or ammo that would open up a whole new area of industry, farming, and warfare.

Tissue can also be adjusted to make it stronger than usual, so you could, if you wanted to, create a troll with flesh that heals almost instantly and bones as strong as iron, which should limit the number of severed limbs.

There is no way to grow back limbs that I know of, but rapid regeneration already exists.