Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to save uniforms?  (Read 1238 times)

DethBrand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A way to save uniforms?
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:28 am »

Is there a way so save and load uniform settings, in game or through a utility?
Or would I have to learn how to make a macro or something?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: A way to save uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:23:33 am »

The easiest way to get your uniform settings to go between forts would be through the use of macros, honestly. I don't know enough about other utilities to know if one can do it for you, or if there is another way in-game to do it.

Ctrl+r to start recording keystrokes, then just do your normal setup with the uniform, then Ctrl+r to stop recording, ctrl+s to save the macro, ctrl+l to load the macro. Not really hard to do, and once you've done it, you can edit the macro itself by opening the macro folder in data/init to streamline it.

Haven't set one of these up yet myself, but I've used macros to split stacks of coins and bolts in the trade menu quickly and easily.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:25:16 am by Lich180 »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:31 am »

I have three uniforms that I use, and don't really find it that taxing to modify the defaults to get to them.

1) Regulars -- metal armor, clothing items (leather leggings, a shirt/tunic type, socks, etc), shield, and the weapon type set to replace clothing. I use this for what I want the next squad I make to use.  I use this for both melee and marksdwarf units.
2) Recruits -- no armor, training weapon, shield, worn over clothing.  For training the noobs to at least Adequate (or Novice if I need warm bodies in a Regular squad in a hurry).
3) Reserves -- armor (any material), shield, individual choice weapon worn over clothing.  Long term, this is everyeone in the fort that isn't already a Recruit or Regular.

Since you can use U to set the uniform a squad will use after you've created it (m -> e -> select squad -> U -> move to right-most column -> select desired uniform -> SHIFT+ENTER to set) I've found I almost never need more uniforms than this.  And I've only really used the Regular uniform lately as I haven't had the weapons to make the Reserve selection worth it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:53 pm »

I suggest macros as the best way to do this at the moment. If you do use macros make sure to optimize them as outlined under Tuning macros on the wiki. An optimized uniform macro might only take 10 seconds or so to set everything up, but an unoptimized one may end up taking several minutes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:13:14 pm »

You might also need to ensure that certain items in the uniform will always be available to your civ, otherwise the option list's order might change between forts. The only items of armour this applies to are high boots and low boots, but there are some useful clothing items that might not always be available. I like having a robe or dress in my uniforms, but I prefer the dress because there are never any problems wearing one with both a mail shirt and a breastplate.

Quick question on the macros: does whitespace affect the speed of the macro?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

Quick question on the macros: does whitespace affect the speed of the macro?
Not as far as I know, but it might have a small negligible effect.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:44:14 pm »

That's alright then. I optimised my macros by using Ctrl-h to delete unecessary commands, and that leaves space. The macros weren't noticeably faster after that, but it seems like there are things elsewhere to be tweaked.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:41 pm »

That's alright then. I optimised my macros by using Ctrl-h to delete unecessary commands, and that leaves space. The macros weren't noticeably faster after that, but it seems like there are things elsewhere to be tweaked.
You can run a CTRL+H to replace SPACE+SPACE with SPACE and just keep running it until it stops finding matches.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"