Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Virtual Artifacts - A text-only virtual fortress succession.  (Read 1755 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Artifacts - A text-only virtual fortress succession.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:37:26 pm »

Whoops. Completely forgot about the anvil. I guess that's why we need a fort like this, to remind us. Or remind me, I suppose, if everyone else remembered it.

Incidentally, what happens if you only pierce the third cavern layer? Do you still get tower-caps and fungiwoods? Because I hate those plain colors. Give me a blood thorn bed (squishy goodness) and a nether-cap pint any day.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tree

It appears that tower-caps and fungiwood are only found in layers 1-2.  There are no trees exclusive to level 2 (several are in both 2-3), so you can safely skip caverns 1 and 2 and not miss out on anything.

I like a nice goblin-cap and black-cap motif (red and black) myself.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 11:27:25 pm »

Woo! My turn! Finally, I thought they'd never finish.  Been waiting FOREVER for my turn to start.

I think I'll claim one of the mechanics who showed up in the migrant wave, if no one minds?  Anyways, Bekar Okabkezar is now "Saint" Okabkezar.  Oh, since there needs to be a story involved, I guess Okabkezar was touched by Uleng Rushonol, the dwarven goddess of suicide and reincarnation, who most commonly takes the form of a skeletal dwarf (it was the god he was most devoured to) while he was churning out the mechanisms the fort needed and decided to become a Saint.  So, yeah, that works I guess.

Anyways, the fort is going smoothly.  Using the mechanisms I've hacked out of gabbro and the silver spiked balls, we've thoroughly trapped the entrance to our fort.  It should help keep the thralls out and still provide a way for migrants to make their way into the fort.  I had three cage traps put at the very end and a draw-bridge set up to a pressure-plate.  Any thralls that make it through our Hallway of Death will trip the pressure-plate and activate the drawbridge, blocking the entrance! And if they manage to get past that, the cage traps will catch them.

It was pretty quiet for the next few months.  We dug shallowly to keep from breaking into the next cavern layer, but there is plenty of stone to be had.  In the rare breaks where the thralls walk off the map, I have our masons scurry out to slap blocks down in a rough wall-shape.  I'll admit a bit of vanity here; I built a corridor going off and ending in a small room.  I forgot to take a picture of it, but our surface now kinda looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made sure to seal the roof so no "unnatural weather" gets in.  I set up a few above-ground farms to supplement our food supplies, too.

Oh, I tossed a few seeds, a pick and some other supplies into that side-room and sealed myself in.  To practice my worship of my God or whatever.  Build a temple or something.  Anyways, I set it up so my character should be self-sufficient (meaning that if the rest of the fortress crumbles, I'll be the only survivor, hehehe...).

As for the rest of the dwarves, their numbers are steadily growing.  We had a few births (I don't remember who) and a fresh wave of migrants.  We number about 40 now, and a mayor has been elected! A certain "Rimtar Febgusil" is now in charge.  He mandated a few doors (which we needed anyways) and I ordered a room to be dug out for him.

We *finally* got a caravan in and I traded for some scrap metal and animals.  Thankfully we had a few silver trap components left over so cost was no issue.  Bought some cloth and stuff so we could start working on a hospital, and purchased the only steel sword they had (so we could start our military).

Food stores looking steady, we've got an above-ground outpost, and I've got my own little private self-sufficient hide-out.  This seems like a good place to stop.

Save can be found HERE.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:35:49 pm by evictedSaint »

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 12:35:25 am »

Spring

Loading up the save and this place is a mess.

Alright, so we're on year 4 and we haven't breached the caverns. That's cool and all, but if we want to start building beds or anything else, we need underground trees going. I don't care if you want special red cool trees, we need wood quite badly (especially if we don't find lignite or coal soon).

And what's up with these fucking farms? Who did this? Look.

Excuse me if this is some kind of high-level tactic, but /what/? Why?! It's goddamn irritating to have to go to each individual farm, tell them to be quarry bushes or plump helmets, and watch as a lone dude comes up and puts a single little dollop on each one. We're dwarves, not cake builders.

But I might as well make some use of the wasted space.

See, we hit a gigantic deposit of galena a while back.

I assigned all the miners to drop what they were doing and mine it all out. All in all it was at least 150 ores; one of them (Kivish) has become legendary. Great. I got all the smelters on it. We have a billion lead bars now, but we also got some silver out of it.

That's right. Sorry to anybody who planned to do something else with the ore but I've always loved making grand statue gardens.

Summer

Kivish found the caverns after some exploratory mining, along with a lot of stone. Thanks to the miners levelling up so quickly, we've been able to really accelerate the process. Also, I've got to share this gem of a fucking report:

Yes, some merchants came, and no, I was not able to save them. They had a pretty good standoff but the vile dust claims them after the second kill. Too bad. I carve some slabs in their name and put Kol's in the dining room for all to see.

The mayor mandated some bismuth bronze shortswords.

We do not have a mayor anymore. We, uh, found some dead people, drained of all their blood. It was obviously the mayor. And I also accidentally gave the hammerer no restrictions, and then atom smashed the mayor's corpse.

Unfortunately, the mayor was about twenty years old, and his parents were living in the fort. Thankfully, by putting a few statues in their room, they're all better. God I have so many statues. The garden is not done yet, but I have everyone working on it.

And look at this- tree saplings in my tree farm, fresh from the earth!

I also managed to hook up an emergency burrows, complete with a long hallway. No accommodations or traps yet, but I may have time before my turn ends.

Autumn

Code: [Select]
A section of the cave has collapsed!
The screen immediately zoomed directly into the heart of the earth a hundred tiles down and didn't show me jack shit. Thanks, DF.

A kobold ambush arrived and was immediately slaughtered by the traders. I have to wonder why they even came. They see this tiny hole in the ground, blocked off by these terrifying engravings and warning signs on boulders and covered in blood, and they decide they're going to AMBUSH it? I get self fucking confidence, but they can obviously see the dust scorching the earth, and the husks, and the corpses. Oh, god, the corpses. I've only gotten the migrants in, not the traders, so they slowly populate the area.

There are also 200 "others" on the stocks menu. Most of them are undead that just got cut into tiny tiny pieces over and over, and each piece can kill you equally well. I especially enjoy the sections of skin that leap onto people's faces and suffocate them.

Silver garden is almost finished and we can make an actually efficient farm afterward. I would hope so anyway. We're running low on food but we can probably make it until the farms get better. In the meantime, I had the miners dig out a lot more bedrooms and got the migrant corridor more thorough with its traps. We're pretty stable ATM.

Winter

The last statue has been placed (out of like sixty) and the farms now look awesome! Quite a few dwarves have a happy thought from them and the surplus statues were stationed in the dining room.

...Well, all was going well until I realized we were completely out of food.

I immediately ordered a swath of land cut out and designated for farming, but it wasn't quite in time. Three berserk dwarves who ravaged the upper workshop level. Thankfully no tantrum spiral, but one of them was in the original seven (Miner-Cook dude, who was put into pure brewing duty at some point) and didn't make it out alive.

And then I see this fucking thing lumbering in the caves.

Code: [Select]
The forgotten beast Lased Zanor has come! A towering iguana composed of green glass. It has an enormous shell and it appears to be emaciated. Beware its deadly gas!
Thankfully I walled off the place right after getting some silk, but I definitely don't want to go down there again.

I just noticed I never opened the gate to the trade depot. Sorry, guys, but the humans are still our trading partners; as are the dwarves.

Managed to get a grand layout of bedrooms and some spare offices. About half are full right now (87 dwarves) so we should be good for a long time on that.

So, that basically ends my turn. Sorry for not much action but the farming situation was really pretty bad... and I wanted a place to put statues.

Save:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:07:22 pm by kilozombie »

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »

this fortress is going forward well  8)
Pages: 1 [2]