Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spacewalk  (Read 1213 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Spacewalk
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:24:50 pm »

Spotted this on RockPaperShotgun :

http://spacewalk.spadille.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg7Sm6fF8vg

Being great fan of Orbiter, appreciating to get some UMMU time in space out of my deltaglider, i had a great smile after downloading Spacewalk, launching and fighting the newtonian space physics around the space station.

It's very immersive and visually rather amazing, you're floating around the space station and can get to see other people doing similarly.

You can change the keyboard inputs and modify the level of the visuals (Venti being the full shaders/hdr/motion blur/shadows visuals, while Tall seeming to be the ones without all those eye candies and so can run on weaker systems)

I'm not sure the multiplay is working or if it was my system or if none of the spacewalkers that i could see knew how to use the control, as i was the only one moving around in my attempts.

Basically you have 4 thrusters : right/left (to rotate right/left) and up/down (to rotate up/down).
To move forward , just press the right+left thrusters at the same time, there's a left/right brake function too .

You can right click to bring your arm in front of your face to see probably the level of O2 (not sure if it has an use in this version) and apparently you can left click to interact with the nearest object (but i found nothing to interact despite clicking on what i thought were doors etc...)
And you quit the session with the Escap key

If you have an Occulus Rift, that game is taking a lot of advantage of it, and if the mouse+keyboard combo is hard for you, it supports a console (xbox from what i remember reading) controller.

Spacewalk use the Unity engine.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:56:37 pm by Robsoie »

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
Re: Spacewalk
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »

Looks cool. It's half of my dream game, really. Realistic-as far as you can make it-spaceship physics, with actual engines and-Wait. Not the right place. ANYWAY, it's cool and I'll try it soon.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10:58 pm »

Less visually impressive and with no other people in it, but a bit more things to do, the NASA did a space walk game, using the Unity engine too :
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/station_spacewalk_game.html

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:52:54 pm »

aeiou
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.