Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sufficiently Advanced - Jumping onto the "I'm making a game" bandwagon  (Read 1054 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Coulda sworn I posted this once before, but I can't find it. Here we go again - if this is a duplicate, I'll lock it.)

Hey all. Thought I might as well introduce my pet project. It's not much at the moment, I know, but it's coming along. All I've got right now is a title screen, but that will change soon.

(see one of the below links for an explanation if you don't understand it)

Sufficiently Advanced will be a tactical roleplaying game. It's inspired by Shining Force, Bahamut Lagoon, Fire Emblem, and many others of the same genre, as well as the "program your own widget to kill the other widgets" games.

The name comes from the saying that "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Get used to hearing me say that - I've already written it twice on my project wiki.

The gimmick will lie in being able to create your own spells (referred to as snippets in SA terms) to sling around. I'm undecided at the moment, but the language used for the snipptets will either be a subset of Python or a small language created specifically for the task.

Many people who list their game projects on here seem to be procedurally generating everything. In an attempt to more closely match my inspirations, the maps, story missions, and various other bits will be hard coded.

I would say more, but just about anything I could say is already on my project wiki. Onoes, now you know my real name.

My latest blog post describes the title image as well as some other general information. The link is below - it contains brackets which screw with bbcode. Just copy/paste the entire thing into a browser of your choice.
Code: [Select]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23801635/projects/wiki.html#[[28 January 2013 - Progress on Sufficiently Advanced]]
Here is the main tiddler on my wiki dedicated to this particular game.

This is all hosted using my Dropbox account, so if you can't see anything, I've probably run out of bandwidth.

Now that I've jabbered your ears off with my insanity, I'd like to ask for help, advice, criticism, suggestions, and just about anything else you're willing to give. The first request has to do with the title shot I've posted.

Is it understandable? If you didn't understand it before, do you understand it after reading my linked blog post? Is it confusing? Should I use a more standard [New Game|Load Game|Settings|Quit], stick with this, something else entirely?

Does this even sound like it would even remotely be fun to anyone but myself? My goal is to have the programming part be encouraged but optional. Think of it like Morrowind spell crafting on steroids - you'll have some basic snippets to get you through the game, but the opportunity is there to make some awesome things on your own.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Sufficiently Advanced - Jumping onto the "I'm making a game" bandwagon
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:34 pm »

PTW. I'll read the wall of text tomorrow!

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:12:22 am »

Sounds like it could be fun, but I don't have time to look through it all now.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:20 am »

I like the non-conventional screen. It sets it apart from the normal "New game, load game, exit" most games have (not that that's bad).

To make it more obvious, why not use slightly different function names?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »

Have you ever played Treasure of the Rudras? It's an insanely interesting JRPG that had a whole spellcrafting mechanic, based on syllabes that could add or substract the magic usage cost and had a whole array of different effects when combined, but if you knew already a few spells from the beginning you were able to use them to beat otherwise hard bosses and do a lot of stuff, having mana as the only limit (and sometimes not even that).

Also, you had the chance to make-up spells based on swears, words in all-caps and stuff like that. The text got displayed in the screen and did an average amount of damage.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:03:00 pm »

Have you ever played Treasure of the Rudras? It's an insanely interesting JRPG that had a whole spellcrafting mechanic, based on syllabes that could add or substract the magic usage cost and had a whole array of different effects when combined, but if you knew already a few spells from the beginning you were able to use them to beat otherwise hard bosses and do a lot of stuff, having mana as the only limit (and sometimes not even that).

Also, you had the chance to make-up spells based on swears, words in all-caps and stuff like that. The text got displayed in the screen and did an average amount of damage.

That sounds cool. I'm surprised I've never heard of it.

Thanks for that. I've been playing some classics to work out what exactly I want. I'll give it a shot.

I know I haven't updated in a while, but I'm currently unemployed and the job search takes priority. That being said, I have made some improvements to the code I currently have and am now working on the battle system.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:48:29 pm by Mephisto »