Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shackleton Crater - Realistic Moon Colonization on Kickstarter  (Read 1380 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shackleton Crater on Kickstarter

These guys are trying to build a as-real-as-possible and still-be-fun moon colonization game.

The most recent update was a request on ideas on how to build large-scale structures on the moon without having to import lots of heavy materials at huge expense from Earth.  So far the idea is to use a solar oven and 3D printing technologies to sinter the moon's regolith powder into a basic construction material.  Making it air tight and insulation, however, are two problems that are still in the air.  The latter is mostly a matter of wall thickness.  Then there's how you provide other materials for other things, like glass, computer chips, and so on.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shackleton Crater - Realistic Moon Colonization on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:34:35 pm »

Wait, Wait, This guy co-founded EA?  :o Hes not a asshole!

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 06:11:52 pm »

Wait, this guy made the John Madden Football franchise? And this game is supposed to be about the moon? I know where this is going.....

http://youtu.be/qrIoMWB2LcU?t=19s

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »

They've only raised 20k and a week has already gone by.  I'm afraid to say I doubt this will reach its funding goal :/
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:38:23 pm »

This looks like it could be really good; but as Brotato said I can't see it getting it's funding :(
That said, I've said that about many Kickstarters in the past, including Godus which ended up hitting all it's stretch goals.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:11:05 pm »

They've only raised 20k and a week has already gone by.  I'm afraid to say I doubt this will reach its funding goal :/

And that's why I decided to spread it around.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:15:38 pm »

Have any gaming news websites picked it up, yet?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:02 pm »

Have any gaming news websites picked it up, yet?

Probably not.  If/when one does, it'll get a giant boost in pledges.  Velociraptor! Cannibalism! skyrocketed when Kickstarter featured us in their weekly newsletter.