Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Saltbuckle: in search of the Giant Sperm Whale [new succession game]  (Read 8846 times)

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saltbuckle: in search of the Giant Sperm Whale [new succession game]
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2013, 06:03:06 pm »

Granite
It seems that I’m overseer now, I was in the barracks and the mayor walked by and told me that the head chef gave up being overseer. It went by so fast I barely realized that we’d even changed.  He gave me the captain’s log and that was it. I put a table and a chair in part of that ship they built.
Some dwarf named Nix barged into my new office and said he wants to be a harpooner, he’s even brought friends.
We can’t really do anything for them with this lack of weapons; a look around the stocks tells me that we barely even have enough metals to get them armed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also found a few other dwarves willing to join, an engraver that looks like he can swing an axe well enough and a few marksdwarves.
That one handed mayor was the first one to grab a bow so he just named himself captain. He also made a few demands before he left. First he said that he wanted two new querns made, next he told me that he was sick of marksdwarf towers, said he wanted a ship instead so that he could be closer to the ocean. The second demand seemed more reasonable to me.

We had enough crossbows to give the archers, so I just left them to their own devices, but these new harpooners need a bit of covering before they can be tested in battle.
A goblin made off with a child, by the time I saw him he was too far to chase, It looks like a marksdwarf went chasing after him, but got held back by some crabmen.

Slate
What a wonderful day, I woke up, had a few good biscuits for breakfast, and saw that the sea had defrosted.
These dwarves, though they joined us most of them seem to have never seen the sea before now. They keep scrambling back and forth looking for blocks. It looks like the constant waves make it hard for the crew to remember where they put anything.

There were a few kidnapping attempts, but nothing we couldn't handle.

Felsite
After an uneventful spring we've finally come close to solving the metal problem, but first we must liberate it from the hands of these goblins!
I was first to meet the enemy, stabbing a goblin in the arm and taking away his defense. Morgan follows behind me, fending off two lashers while the rest of the goblins focus on torturing a stray kitten.
Out of the corner of my eye I see the one of the marksdwarves, the mayor no less, using some unorthodox tactics. I heard a goblin screaming, I saw Morgan stab a spear clean through one of his hands, then the other hand. A goblin came at me while I was distracted; I dodged getting away from him and hit him in the ear.
I looked for the recruits after the battle, they apparently didn't think we needed the help.
One of the new recruits came jogging in, missing most of the action, but looking ready for a fight. That all melted away when he tripped on a corpse and almost got his skull kicked in for it, but Morgan got to it, crippling the goblin. I looked around seeing the captain of the goblins trying to crawl away through the corpses of his former squad and challenged him.
She swung at me, but I counterstrike, smashing her jaw shut. Her next strike missed entirely I leaving her open to a broken rib; I heard it break off, and then I saw her choke to death.
When I walked away I saw Morgan standing guard while the recruit and a marksdwarf took turns brutalizing one of the lashers. It seems like this is his training.
During all that action I almost forgot that we had elven traders.  We bought some plants for brew and logs for something I’m working on.
On my way down the stairs I saw some psycho screaming about wanting rocks.
Later that day I asked the marksdwarves why they were bashing things with their crossbows, they told me it was because they had no quivers.
It was the last day of Spring, construction was going well, everything seemed to be in order, but the thought still plagued me, when have goblins ever ambushed with only one squad. It didn't hit me until the middle of the night, there was a scream, I ran outside and saw one of the most daring scenes in my life, snatchers!
They must have come over one of the ice flows.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 06:53:19 pm »

add me to the list, I'll take another turn after everyone has had his.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 11:47:56 pm »

Done!

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:44 pm »

Done!

Heck, I will too.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2013, 12:17:02 am »

Updated the turns list.  Hoping to hear from BronzeAge soon about the rest of his turn.

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »

Sorry about the lateness, I'll have the rest of the turn up by tomorrow at the latest.

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2013, 12:26:18 am »

Hematite
The goblin got away, but his mother kept following. Eventually the kidnapper was out of sight, the mother would have never stopped running without Morgan, he stopped her before she slipped.
I walked out on the docks and see the ship hasn’t had anything done recently; I look left and see that the marksdwarves are getting impatient. One was staring down a bird. The dwarf looks like she had run out of bolts, but it didn’t look like she was going anywhere.
I had decided to put an archery field in my office when I passed the mayor. It looked like he was injured in the last ambush. We talked a bit and it looked like he was all by himself out here, just him and his wife. His son was taken during the last few kidnappings it seems.
These marksdwarves seem to be a bit off. One ran into my barracks today to tell me that he just shot an insane dwarf in the eye. The mayor told me how he shot the same dwarf in the throat. Just as long as they don’t start to turn on us I guess it’s alright.

Malachite
I can never get anytime to teach the new recruits, just now some stranger barged in and told me about her list of demands, said he was the new mayor. I have no idea where she gets off; the old mayor was a hard working marksdwarf who wrestled a goblin in single combat with only an arm. This woman on the other hand had one vote.

Galena
I think I’ve finally mastered this. I can now wield this copper spear well enough to reliably hit a crab on all its legs. I am now qualified by the fortress as a spear master. 
I met the husband of that craftsdwarf that went insane looking for stone. He seemed a bit depressed that her dead body was just laying there. He also yelled at me about all the other dead bodies. I agreed with him and decided it was best to get them out of sight before we dug the burials.

Limestone
A fish dissector had another mood; he ran by me and took a mason’s workshop.
I heard crying from inside the training room this morning.
The marksdwarves were the first to see it; they ran to the ice it was circling.
I remember standing on the ice for what felt like hours waiting for the damn thing to stick its head above water when it happened, the beast jumped out of the water, clean over the ice flow. The beast looked in my eye, I can’t describe the moment, it seemed like it wanted to kill me, but the thing also seemed afraid.
A week later I heard that a baby died of thirst in the dining room.

On the 27th of Sandstone the sea froze. It was truly a terrible day. Only the day before it seemed so lively; now it’s just infested with animal men.
Timber
Morgan seemed bored, so I sent him out to kill a crabman. He seemed pretty happy about it.
The attack the other day had me thinking, made me think about our chances of surviving.  The thing cut through the water and air just the same. From the look in its eyes I could tell that it could of done anything it wanted, we’re all alive because it let us live. I’ve ordered a tomb dug for the hero who can slay the beast.
Me personally I found a normal crab to kill. Can’t be getting rusty inn this cold, the soldiers look up to me.
Seemed like the cold got to one of the cooks today. He got struck by an idea and went running to a workshop.
Moonstone
It’s winter now, the sea is no more, the soldiers are taking time off to be with their loved ones and the animal men stalk the fields.
The ex-mayor, walked up to me, told me to begin construction of a lighthouse. Told me it’d help watch over the see and signal passing ships. Told me that we could even use bricks from his first demand, the thing was blocking the fishing zones anyway.
I saw the winter’s greatest challenge for me yet, a giant crab.
There was a cave in during construction of the tomb. The dwarves are saying Naryar was hurt pretty badly. It seems like she broke her hip.
Opal
The marksdwarves wanted something to do so I sent them out to find something to shoot at. It wasn’t until our former mayor came back with an empty quiver that I found out what happened. They had found a few horseshoe crabmen and were firing wildly at them. The ice fields were littered with broken bolts; if anything happened before we could replace the loss we may have been all killed.  It seems that we’re all not taking the winter that well.
Obsidian
The goblins came in from our weakest flank this morning. They proved no threat, came in small numbers and wore little armor. I just stood back a bit and decided to let the new recruits handle the goblins. The next thing I knew Morgan was tearing through the goblins, just leaving pools of blood on the ice. It seems like the ice is getting to everyone.
I went pacing through the halls earlier this week. I saw dwarves busily working to finish the lighthouse, corpses strewn about the caves that slip the minds of everyone who passes them, the tailor seems to be producing new clothes at a wonderful rate. Our captain informs me that we have other corpses under the ice as well. It also seems that we have the holdings of long dead migrants hidden with the bodies. I ordered a search for one of the bodies off our coast a while ago.  The miners inform me that there was a drowned child.  The dwarf miner, Naryar, still lying in the hospital, her leg covered in cloth.
The dwarves were just sitting there, ignorant of the monster under the sea. The goblins always seem to be covered by animal men too; it can’t just be a coincidence. The recruits are coming along, they’ll come along even better with our new stock of metal.
  On the way out of my office I met the former mayor. We talked a while and I told him to give my resignation to the next overseer. The old dwarf didn’t ask me why, he was with us when we fought the beast. He saw the monstrosity. The recruits talk about it in the barracks as if we scared it off.  The liason wouldn’t even listen when we told him the stories, he thought we were exaggerating. Well I think I can trust his decision. 

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2013, 12:36:50 am »

How's my dorf?

And also, have any whales been spotted? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2013, 02:36:41 pm »

Was the beast that you spotted a whale by any chance?
Next up according to the schedule is thegoatgod_pan.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2013, 02:37:46 pm »

Also... lighthouse?  Hmm.

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2013, 09:58:34 pm »

In order:

Nix is coming along well. he was the first to abandon his wrestling career and become a speardwarf.

Yes, there was a whale.

I remembered something from the Old Man and the Sea part of the way through winter. I decided it could also function as a marksdwarf tower. I went over a save file from the whale attack a few times to get a general feel for the dimensions of it and had to revise it a few times.

If anyone wants the save file of the whale I should be able to upload it along with the pictures the next time I get to my laptop. The arena can't even do the thing justice.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:31 pm »

AM I up next? I got a PM ten days ago and missed it somehow. DOwnloading the save and will start on it tomorrow night!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

inspiredsimji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2013, 05:32:17 pm »

I don't mean to sound like "that guy", but how's that update coming along?

BronzeAge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2013, 04:32:12 pm »

So, how's the turn going so far?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2013, 10:18:28 am »

Looking forward to that update.  I gave up playing DF for Lent, and I thought this fort had died, so I kinda stopped watching the forum.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]