Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh gee thanks DF  (Read 2322 times)

Trojanhamster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh gee thanks DF
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 02:43:23 pm »

I can confirm selecting a specific biome before embark will cause your wagon to start within that biome rather than the center of the map. The biome must be flashing on the screen when you embark, if you switch to another tab it will reset it back to the center of the map.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 02:57:05 pm »

I have a backup of a world with a minor river surrounded by large cliffs with multiple waterfalls and some really cool aquifers. I'll upload it to the DFFD today when I get home in an hour or two if anyone's interested.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »

And a horrible embark becomes valuable knowledge!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:17 pm »

I just did some quick tests (my first official dwarven science!) and I will confirm that each time, my wagon started in the highlighted biome.  It also seemed to be as near the center of the map within that biome as it could get.  However, when I tabbed through the different view modes, it did not seem to reset my wagon position to the center of the map.  I still ended up where I expected, near the corner (because of the biome I had selected before hitting tab.)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:20 am »

I've seen reports that if your embark covers multiple biomes, highlighting one during embark (using F1/F2/F3/etc.) will cause the wagon to appear in that one. Independent confirmation of this would be highly recommended, of course.
Not true, the embark site appears to be random.

I've had two different embarks at the exact same location, one of them appeared on a flat spot and the other appeared on the side of a slope, killing the wagon and robbing me of my 3 free wood. The only difference in these two embarks was how many plump helmets I took with me.

You might want to take that up with i2amroy and GhostDwemer - after a bit of searching, it was in this thread that they made that claim.

Did some testing, now when I have time, and it does indeed appear to be true. Embarking on the top left corner of a 6x6 embark screen is a bit silly though, then again its good to be able to choose I guess.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »

I've seen reports that if your embark covers multiple biomes, highlighting one during embark (using F1/F2/F3/etc.) will cause the wagon to appear in that one. Independent confirmation of this would be highly recommended, of course.
Not true, the embark site appears to be random.

I've had two different embarks at the exact same location, one of them appeared on a flat spot and the other appeared on the side of a slope, killing the wagon and robbing me of my 3 free wood. The only difference in these two embarks was how many plump helmets I took with me.

You might want to take that up with i2amroy and GhostDwemer - after a bit of searching, it was in this thread that they made that claim.

Did some testing, now when I have time, and it does indeed appear to be true. Embarking on the top left corner of a 6x6 embark screen is a bit silly though, then again its good to be able to choose I guess.

6x6?!

Please, tell me how you managed to install DF on a space-computer from the future.
[Signature]

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »

It's not too difficult to embark on a 6x6 map even if it has a lot of z levels, but depending on your computer your starting FPS may be similar to the FPS you usually get on an established fortress with lots of revealed tiles and created items.

Making a world with no oceans, one cavern layer, and no bottom layer will vastly reduce the number of levels the game has to create, though removing the bottom layer will remove a lot of stuff you might or might not care about.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]