Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart question  (Read 796 times)

Tharg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart question
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:35:13 pm »

I have built a fairly massive mincart system which is intended to ferry items to and from various areas of my fort.  I have switches set up to change the path and it is so close to working.  I use Push, not Guide.  However unfortunately it seems like the route in the hauling menu controls the order of stops, so if the cart is re-directed to an unexpected stop the system breaks and the cart is then hauled back to the next stop.  I want it to be pushed from whichever stop it ends up at.

Can this be made to work?  The only way I can think of doing it would be to use a dumping trackstop with no friction instead of the route stops, but I want to be able to easily switch each 'station' from receiving from / giving to the cart.

I think this is a simple representation of the problem I have :

Code: [Select]
A
|
|
L___ B
H
|
|
C

where A, B and C are stops and H is a bridge.  Pushing from A goes to B unless the bridge is closed

Code: [Select]
A
|
H
H___ B
H
|
|
C

in which case it goes to C.

The route would be set up so at each stop the cart is set to be pushed back.  However, assuming the routes' stops are listed in order A, B, C, then in the first case the cart goes from A to B, then back to A and then it's hauled to C, then it's pushed and is hauled to A from wherever it stops on the track.  In the second case it goes from A to C then is hauled to B, then goes from B and derails on the bridge or whatever and is then hauled to C before being pushed back to A.

Can this be made to work as I want?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:59:17 pm by Tharg »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:55:17 pm »

Stop order seems like something you can't fool... Couple of ideas:

1. Set up one route for A<->B and one route for A<->C, and guide the carts.

2. Have one stop at A, and lowest-friction dumping track stops at B and C. Beyond these track stops there is something that bounces the cart back to A (roller or impulse ramp). This will give you A->B or A->C at will, but no loading or selective unloading at B and C.

3?. Have two push routes, one for A<->B and A<->C. Set the stops up so that that the carts are stored at B and C and can never hit each other. Problem is, I can't think right now how to do this in such a way that the carts are kept separate and also not pushed off while their route is deactivated.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tharg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart question
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:47:21 am »

Thanks.  That's what I was afraid of.  Not sure how I'll deal with it yet.