Glass castle w/ magma moat
- 11 (22.4%)
Glass hanging gardens
- 19 (38.8%)
Inside out fish bowl
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Site in search of a mega-project  (Read 3947 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Site in search of a mega-project
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »

Seriously, I desire glass so badly. This site has everything I could ever desire.

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 10:33:28 am »

Ask and ye shall receive (eventually.)

World-gen params
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Site location

Site map

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 08:02:19 pm »

You must have aquifers on. I generated without and oh my god a freshwater lake the size of an ocean.

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »

You must have aquifers on. I generated without and oh my god a freshwater lake the size of an ocean.
Lol!  Yes, I never turn off aquifers.  I figure one of these years I'll get around to figuring out what to do with those things...

Did you turn on aquifers and try again, and if so did it work out?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 09:51:35 pm »

Yep, site worked like a charm, probably would have worked on the other map, but I didn't notice you were on a mountain tile. But holy hell that's a huge lake.

Also, where exactly is the magma? In the second cavern system?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:11:36 pm by Pufferfish »

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:38:19 pm »

There's one magma pipe just a little northeast of the map center.  Its highest level is 116, but the magma starts at 112.  There's also a second pipe to the left of it that starts a little lower down.

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:21 am »

Ok, I've started the fortress for this thing.  If anyone is super interested, I can start a story thread in the proper forum (and post a link to that thread here.)  Otherwise, I'll just post updates here.  I'll still be interested in ideas and suggestions as I go, so please speak up if you think of anything!

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 02:27:02 pm »

End of first year report

This year was mainly getting things set up.  Dug a small living area in the southern hill with a general stockpile, trading depot, kitchen, dining room, and dormitory.  Dug down in the middle of the map to get to the magma pipe.  Set up magma glass works area with a single glass furnace for now.  Starting with just making green glass toys for trade.  Requested as much potash and pearlash as I could from the caravan.  Started work on surrounding wall to protect construction area.  Also have a militia of 5 assigned as marksdwarves.  Training will commence in earnest (on vultures and camels) when I get enough dwarves to start carving bone bolts.  Migrant counts have been surprisingly low so far, so I don't have as many as I want for building the outer wall.  Current population is 14 (all adult.)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 05:16:38 pm »

Any idea how you want this to end up looking like?

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 05:38:48 pm »

Here are my current plans:
  • pump magma and water up to the surface with pump stacks in map center
  • dig moat, fill with magma
  • build glass outer walls inside magma moat
  • build glass tower around pump stacks
  • turn glass tower into hanging gardens: water constantly flows from pump stack at the top, down through channels on each floor of the tower with garden sections that can be muddied for planting at will
  • build actual fortress into the inside of the outer walls, with open spaces between the rooms and hallways
  • when wall-fortress is totally sealed, fill in the gaps with magma and seal over the top
  • after everything is sealed, flood the space between the wall-fortress and the tower with water

The final result is a giant fishbowl with a tower in the middle.  The actual glass bowl is filled with magma and dwarves, with a magma moat around the whole thing.  I plan to use green glass for walls, clear glass for windows, and crystal glass for decorations.  I'm not the most artistic person in the world, so I would love it if someone could help me out with a nice floor plan or something.

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 01:49:33 pm »

End of second year report

Temporary outer wall is almost complete.  Started work on underground power plant for the pump stacks.  Going to need lots of wood!  Set up a hospital zone and burial area.  Mostly setup now to start pumping out cloth and leather clothing.  Now have 4 magma glass furnaces; 3 are pumping out green glass blocks, the fourth is still going on trade goods.  Also a magma smelter (needed metal bars for a strange mood.)  Speaking of strange moods, I've had two of them, both successful.  The first got me a legendary glassmaker!  The second got me a legendary metalcrafter.  The third strange mood is in progress at a crafter's workshop.  It says he wants bones, and there are lots of bones sitting in his workshop... I'll butcher a dog to see if that satisfies him.  I have about 10 masons now, so building should be quick from now on (if I can manage it effectively.)  Total population is 44, with 7 in the military and still no children!  I have my population cap set at 60; not sure if I'll increase it or not.

EDIT: Slaughtering the dog worked.  Third strange mood resulted in a legendary stone crafter.
EDIT2: Also, I've found evidence of a giant cave spider in the caverns.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:00:04 pm by Suspense »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 05:32:38 pm »

I'm not the most artistic person in the world, so I would love it if someone could help me out with a nice floor plan or something.
If all planning fails: MAKE IT MASSIVE.

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 07:39:08 pm »

End of third year report

Goblins!  So many!  Well, not really a huge number, just numerous ambushes.  The first ambush killed an Ettin for me.  Surprisingly, most of the ambushes came right at the end of the year when I wasn't expecting them.  Dwarf (and dog) casualties are climbing, and a few dwarves are miserable now.  The temporary outer wall was finished early in the year; the moat has mostly been dug; and the actual outer glass wall has been started.  We now have numerous glass workers and masons, and pearlash manufacturing has started.  Still no failed moods, but the most useful artifact so far is a copper war hammer.  Not even any furniture for the mayor's room!  The first phase is complete on the water wheel power plant.  I'll add onto it later as I need more power.  I think I'll increase the population cap to make sure I get enough dwarves to replace any that lose it from unhappiness.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:40:13 pm by Suspense »

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »

... and a few dwarves are miserable now...
Yeah, about that... when I unpaused at the new year I was hit by the most... abrupt tantrum spiral I've ever seen.  Seriously, it just like exploded through the fortress.  I think I'll try a little redesign and start over.  Probably going to skip the updates now.  I promise to show this off if I ever get it completed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 01:44:34 pm »

The Dwarves who lived in a glass Fortress threw all the rocks.
Pages: 1 [2]