Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immune-System Infecting Diseases  (Read 628 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immune-System Infecting Diseases
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:43:45 am »

This will be a short and simple suggestion.

Basically I think it would be interesting to add the tags required for a disease that is more powerful the more powerful the person's immune system is. There are actually quite a few diseases like this in real life.

My suggestion on how to do this is simple. The ability for someone to resists a disease is simply the distance of their disease resistance is from 0.

For this tag you set a number for Disease resistance and that becomes the new balance point.

That way if you have a low immune system or a fantastic one you can fend off the disease more effectively. Yet if you simple have an average or strong one, you have much less of a defense.

Also to make sure someone doesn't have a resistance of 0 there can also be a "base disease resistance" which is the minimum disease resistance anyone is offered from the disease.. Though 0 resistance still means total immunity.

Tags:
BASEDISEASERESISTANCE:####
RESISTBASE:####

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immune-System Infecting Diseases
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:53 am »

I'd be interested if you were able to give examples of real diseases that attack strong immune systems selectively. I can't think of any myself. The only thing that springs to mind are auto-immune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, where the body's immune system falsely targets native cells. I'm drawing a blank on acquired diseases.

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:23:46 pm »

Uh... isn't AIDS one?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:46:26 pm »

Uh... isn't AIDS one?
Aids just attacks your immunosystem, the detecting part specifically. The stronger it is, the longer it manages to put up a fight.

On a side note, this could easily be added by allowing interactions to interact with different attributes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:43:16 pm »

Uh... isn't AIDS one?

Spanish Flu is one.

It is why the Old and the Young actually managed to die in equal amount to healthy adults.

On a side note, this could easily be added by allowing interactions to interact with different attributes

Actually this gives me the idea of a tag for diseases that allows you to even set what resists it.

Like Willpower for a supernatural disease.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:31:10 am »

Right, got it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm

Overreaction of the body's immune system to a foreign substance. Triggered by drugs such as the referenced TGN1412 experimental compound.

Sure, could be a type of syndrome based on contaminant exposure. I also like the above idea for supernatural diseases using alternative statistics besides disease resistance to determine recovery odds. That would be a great option.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:09 pm »

Just to point out...actual diseases should be added before specific ones. Flu before Spanish Flu, you know?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:47 pm »

Just to point out...actual diseases should be added before specific ones. Flu before Spanish Flu, you know?

Flu already pretty much has the building blocks in place.

This is simply a suggestion on how to expand upon what we already have, especially once diseases have better vectors.

So far what we have is Stat origin (what is essentially the new Zero), Stat minimum (The minimum resistance if resistance is calculated as 0. Can also be negative to give it a dead zone), and alternate stat (Uses something other then poison resistance or disease resistance).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »

Flu already pretty much has the building blocks in place.
Aside from infectiousness and implementation? Yes. Of course, since modding is rarely if ever an accepted argument, and infectiousness is what makes a disease...

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this is one of those premature suggestions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:17:18 pm »

No such thing as a premature suggestion.